5 replies to this topic

#1 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1922 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

I have a very small budget project coming up. Need to shoot some office building interiors without people on a weekend.

The question is this:

Should I use my BMPCC with PL mount adapter and rent some higher-end glass OR rent a 4k BMCC and rent Canon L glass (or Zeiss ZE)

The project doesn't call for 4K but I like the options if gives in post for subtle pushes and the like. BUT I can rent some superior Super 16mm Zeiss lenses if I go with the BMPCC.

So I guess it comes down to 4K or HD with superior glass? (and sensor size, yes...)

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2363 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

It honestly depends on how you're viewing the final product. I think the pocket camera is perfect for everything outside of theatrical distribution. The 2.88X crop factor makes most shit glass look good because it's only taking an image from the center. That's how I can get away with using Korean-made Rokinon glass and it looks acceptable. If it's going to be seen on a big screen, I'd absolutely use a bigger sensor camera like the Blackmagic 4k and with that comes glass expense as well. 

I shoot pretty much everything today with my pocket camera and I have yet to run into a situation where it wasn't capable. I did a two television show pilots in 2014, big crews, 5 ton grip truck, the whole 9 yards. We had more audio equipment then camera equipment… people were like "you're shooting with that toy" and when they saw the final product, it shut them up right away. 

So yea.. umm, just roll with what ya got and have fun! :) 

#3 John E Clark

John E Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Other
  • San Diego

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

I have a very small budget project coming up. Need to shoot some office building interiors without people on a weekend.

The question is this:

Should I use my BMPCC with PL mount adapter and rent some higher-end glass OR rent a 4k BMCC and rent Canon L glass (or Zeiss ZE)

The project doesn't call for 4K but I like the options if gives in post for subtle pushes and the like. BUT I can rent some superior Super 16mm Zeiss lenses if I go with the BMPCC.

So I guess it comes down to 4K or HD with superior glass? (and sensor size, yes...)

As noted, if your final output is going to a 'big screen', then perhaps 'big camera/lens' is the solution... given budget...

I usually shoot my BMPCC with my Lumix 14-140mm zoom, but a few weeks ago the Wife was out of town so I could surreptitiously use her Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens. While this may not be good for interiors that need a 12mm or the like on the Pocket, the difference was very 'appreciable'...

Were it me, I'd go with the PL mount and Super 16mm. The one issue there is if the coverage is good at the low mm zoom, and wide open apertures, that may be required for interior small room work. Since I don't have access to such I've not tested with 'high end' lenses... In the case of the Nikon, since the lens is for Full Frame stills... it definite had no problems with the Super 16-ish BMPCC.

Edited by John E Clark, 04 March 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#4 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

I would go with the Pocket and run high-end glass. Ultra 16 or SK4 will give you a way better image than the 4K with Canon L glass. I would even do this for a theatrical release. The 4K looks great but the Pocket's imager is very robust, in my opinion more-so than that of the 4K production camera. 

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

Biased as I am I will take better glass to make my,and my ac's life easier over rote resolution any day. Also I prefer the pocket since it's pretty versitile in either a small or a large package.I'd also go Sk4s; but that's preference as well.

#6 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1922 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

I could surreptitiously use her Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens.

I have this lens, and with the Metabones adapter it is a really good option. The only plus I see to some MFT lenses is the autofocus which is of course, not that great anyway.

Sounds like I should spend a little time with my rental house and figure out the best PL lens options and probably do some testing. It will need to be very wide for the interiors without the Metabones speed booster.

I have some tests with PL lenses and the BMPCC I did a few months ago...I will dig those out for reference.

Thanks for all the input!

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm

Glidecam

CineLab

The Slider