11 replies to this topic

#1 Oliver Ballard

Oliver Ballard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:29 AM

i was brought this projector recently by my mum and had some trouble with it no loading very well to beging with on some reels, i just gave it a clean and the first one loaded okay, im not sure if the home made ones had sound or not aparrently they did but the cartoons i have are labled to have sound, so i was expecting to hear something, but not one peep came out of this

i see a port on the back and not sure if this is supposed to be used with a seperate speaker or its built in one is broken, the colume was turned up on the front.

what are my options here?

#2 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

Was it sold as being in working order? If so return it.

If not, IIRC they usually have a rather poor internal speaker. Plugging one in cuts it out. Try an external one anyway.

There shold be plenty of 'hum' even with no soundtrack. Check it isn't switched to 'silent'. Failing that you will have to go in and look for broken wires and the like. Of course being old the amplifier may just be u/s.

Sound films have a brown stripe on one or both edges but not many home movies were shot with sound.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 07 March 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#3 Oliver Ballard

Oliver Ballard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

no it was my mums for years...i had recently played with a normal 8 projector and she found this tucked away in storage so brought it round for me to look at. i dont have much experience tbh

are external speakers expencive, i guess ebay would be the best place, any models to look for? is there a method to connect via phono so i can hook up to stereo, if i look inside is there anything i should avoud touching that might hold electricity, i know capacitors are to be avoided?  and by switched to silent you mean 0?  it goes to 9 and when the cartoon was running i turned it all the way up, i dont have a manual or even find one online so i dont know what the other buttons do numbered 1 & 2

thanks for the advice

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

My projector has a switch for silent/sound.

1 and 2 are probably main and balance stripe- if you care to post a photograph I night be able to help. I don't know about input/output- i can't see what you have. Any speaker with the right plug will probably be fine- Super-8 stripe isn't really hi-fi.

Sorry, can't help with the insides, I'm no electronics whiz but I can recognise bad connections and so on.

http://super8data.co...onector_ls2.htm

#5 Oliver Ballard

Oliver Ballard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

hey mark apreciate that heres some pics i used links to save space here

front

http://van-eck.net/i...nector-LS-1.jpg

back

http://imgur.com/YmZUdLo

i recognise the 5 pin ports but not sure if they're outputs though i might be able to test that out later the speaker icon/port baffles me

can't look inside till i get a thinner screwdriver haha

Edited by Oliver Ballard, 08 March 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:02 AM

I can't see all the labels on the front- can you take your own picture?

The 5-pin DIN sockets are output on the left and input on the right.

The speaker socket is a standard 2-pin DIN.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 09 March 2015 - 05:03 AM.

#7 Oliver Ballard

Oliver Ballard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

that's a great help mark i just bought a 5 pin for a stereo so will see how that works out later :)

honnestly i thought the pic i used showed eveything the same, guessing the switch on the right controlls the input output you mentioned

http://imgur.com/XbmSRrI

#8 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

1 and 2 will be for the main and balance stripe.

The red button is to record and the switch beside it to select between stripes. I think you're right about the other switch, it's not something I have on mine, it's to give a line output to an amplifier. As yo can see there is a built-in speaker.

A commercial film would only have sound on the main stripe (1) so you can concentrate on that.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 09 March 2015 - 02:13 PM.

#9 Oliver Ballard

Oliver Ballard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

hi thanks 

i had a little play just now and i think before one of the buttons 1 or 2 were pushed in as i had to pull 1 out and couldn't do so without the cover off, then i got some sound woo hoo tom and jerry palyed okay but then i rewound it to try out the external output and damn it just wouldn't load properly, i think it may need a good clean and service as it just wants to chew up tape 9/10 times.

#10 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:09 AM

You may be able to thread by hand- autoloading is notoriously unreliable and consumptive of leader.

Alternatively if you take some of the curl out of the end of the film it may load better. Just roll it between thumb and forefinger to straighten it out.

I think the track buttons have LEDs so you can see which is pushed in. You may need to push to switch on and push again to switch off,rather than pull.

It's film, by the way.

#11 Oliver Ballard

Oliver Ballard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

Hey i'll give that a try thanks and sorry for the incorrect terminology haha didn't ecpect i'd get called up on that, i'll try and remember in future.

#12 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

didn't ecpect i'd get called up on that,

See my avatar? That's me in 1989, 12 years after I first made a movie, probably when I was about your age now.

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Pro 8mm

Aerial Filmworks

Zylight

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Glidecam

Technodolly

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets