4 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Tan

Daniel Tan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

Hi everyone,

How can one achieve a bluring effects? I am planning to shoot a couple of night street scene handheld and walking around. I'm using Aaton XTRprod, super16mm, 500D Fuji.

I think it has something to do with wider shutter angle. XTRprod offer a range from 180 to 15. Am I correct? Or maybe I can shoot normally and figure that out in post?

Any advices?

Thanks.

Daniel

#2 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:46 PM

If you want to increase motion blur significantly, you need to lengthen your exposure time significantly, and you're not going to do be able to do that in-camera without undercranking down to 8 or 12 frames a second or less. Then, of course, you have fast motion, which you need to adjust either 1) by doing a "meta-speed" telecine 2) optically by step-printing or, 3) of course, as a digital effect. Of course, which if these options will yield the best results will depend on exactly the kind of effect you're going for and what your post facilities are like. Of course, if you have a strong digital effects artists, you may get the best results by shooting the scene normally and post-effecting it later.

However, the really cool thing about undercranking at night is that you can often use available light, which can be a very different and interesting look.

Obviously, closing down the shutter from 180 to 90 or 45 or whatever is only going to reduce motion blur. There aren't any mainstream cameras that offer shutter angles wider than 220 degrees (some Panavision cameras) or so, so it's unlikely you'll be able to get a demonstrative effect at 24fps unless you go to the extraordinary step of pulling out the shutter completely, which presents, of course, all sorts of other issues.

J

#3 Daniel Tan

Daniel Tan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the advise. I will undercrank it and then deal with in post. This is obviously my first time doing it so I am just going to go with my instinct and try it out. Will be a great experience.

Thanks again.

Daniel

#4 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

I second what was said by Atavist and just wanted to add that if changing your shutter angle doesn't cost a cent (though it won't do anything you're looking for in this case), undercranking the camera speed requires a cinematography accessorie on the XTR prod, if I'm not wrong, that you have to rent (On the other hand, you'll save money on stock and process). Concerning the rendering of such a undercranking as you talk about following your instinct, you won't be able to figure out the blur rendering much (from the viewfinder only) unless you have a video monitor attached to the camera, that involves an overcost, not only by the monitor you should rent but also by the video accessorie on the camera...

#5 Daniel Tan

Daniel Tan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

Hi,

I have yet to check with the rental house about the extra asses. needed for undercranking but I will do so ASAP. As far as I know, XTRprod has a bulit in crystal speed between 3-75fps. Thanks for the reminder.

Regarding about using my instinct, I guess I can't without the monitor and I have no budget for that area. Is there anybody out there who has actually done an undercranking and meta-speed telecine to achieve such a look? I'm planning to talk to the telecine house to see if they has come across anything like this before.

Thanks.

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

CineTape

CineLab

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport