Alex Anstey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Editor
  • London

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

Hi all, 

I'm going round and round in circles and would love some opinions! 

I've just bought an Arri BL4s and am looking for a lens or two to play around with. On the whole, I will rent lenses if I'm shooting anything serious but would love something to experiment with that doesn't cost the earth - focal length, probably 35 or 50mm and budget would be around the £500 mark. 

I've been looking on ebay at older Cooke Speed Panchro's but they normally go for a lot more. I stumbled across the Dog Schidt site and their FF58 seems interesting - basically a reworking of a Helios 44m I think. Another idea would be old Nikon primes - the ais lenses are great for still work. 

Any thoughts/opinions - pros/cons would be greatly appreciated! 

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

You're basically out of luck. PL glass, even and perhaps especially vintage, is up at a premium. There was never that much around to begin with and with the proliferatino of d-cinema systems using a PL there is even less around.

Maybe you can get an older Lomo Lens and then bet it PL adapted, but even that would probably set you over your budget mark.

The Dog Schidts are interesting, and I keep meaning to play with them, but they are wholly a specialty lens for FX, very soft, flary, and rather insane-- as is the point. It's not really a lens to create a "typical" look, e.g. the look you'd see in most films, but rather something more for Music Videos, specialty sequences, or other more "arty" styles.

#3 Alex Anstey

Alex Anstey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Editor
  • London

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks, Adrian - I thought that might be the case. I remember seeing Lomo anamorphics going for nothing on ebay years ago - it's all gone a little crazy! I wish I'd known what I was looking at back then - would have been a pretty amazing investment!

The Dog Schidts do look really interesting. I have a Helios 44m which I use for stills - some cool stuff... very dreamy but definitely a specific look. 

Perhaps another option is to go for old Arriflex mount lenses and get them remounted - any views on the Cine Xenon (are these the same as Schneider Kreuznach?) or Zeiss Planar lenses? 

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:15 AM

If you could get them remounted- though i'm not sure you can. I know most OCT-19s can be re-done, RAF Camera, if I recall, does the service and in my dealings with them, they were very nice.

There's also older used zooms; which while many times the price of a single lens, would get a "range" lacking elsewhere. Something such as :

http://www.visualpro...Cat2=20&Cat3=29

perhaps?

Who knows; though, perhaps someone will bring out a low-cost lens in PL, like Rokinon or someone-- there is some market pressue there currently.

Also, I know Tonika is offering PL zooms these days for a few thousand, new. Though I think they're on the wider range of things (11~16 and a 28~something) I THINK they'll be ok on the mirror shutter; but might want to check.

#5 Alex Anstey

Alex Anstey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Editor
  • London

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:11 AM

Gah, that Cooke zoom! I wish! Need to save the pennies. The zoom idea is a good one but for the time being it will have to be some sort of compromise with a prime. Apart from anything else, I plan to do a bit of handheld stuff and the BL4 is heavy enough as it is! 

Just came across this on ebay - for the price, any pitfalls of using an SLR lens seem worth it... 

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

#6 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:02 AM

I know most OCT-19s can be re-done, RAF Camera, if I recall, does the service and in my dealings with them, they were very nice.

yeah, I can highly recommend them :)   They also custom make stuff, like lens adapters. I just got them made a Pentacon Six to OCT18 adapter for me so I can use my Zeiss Jenas with Konvas cameras. 

There is also the option of using a Foton zoom lens, you can get very nice add-on PL adapter from which clamps to the intermediate mount of the lens. the Foton has quite a lot chromatic aberration however, if this is a problem then primes are much better option.

there is also a shop in Russia which converts oct19 to PL, somewhere near St Petersburg if I remember correctly.

If you know a lens technician your best bet could be adapting ai-s Nikkors to PL, they are very nice lenses in general. You have to rebuild about half of the mechanics because you have to replace the back part and iris controls to be able to fit the lens inside PL body

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

Also; when this comes out:

http://www.slrmagic....m-t21-lens.html

Itll cover you.

#8 Alex Anstey

Alex Anstey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Editor
  • London

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

Wow - interesting about that SLR magic 50mm. Had no idea they did an anamorphic adaptor as well. Will keep an eye on that!

Thanks, aapo - the Nikon route could be a good one. I have a Konvas as well - great little camera. I did look at the Foton but would be nice to do with out the CA! 

CineTape

CineLab

The Slider

Technodolly

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC