Caleb Karrenbrock

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • United States

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

Hi - I'm going to be acting as DP for a student film next week. My first time doing so. 

My director wants the film to have a blue/grey/cold feel. Upon viewing the location (pic below), my first thought was to replace the tungsten bulbs on all the practical lights to CFL bulbs to match the window light more. Probably was just going to turn off overhead lights that are flush with the ceiling. 

So here are my questions. 

- Is this a good first step or is difference in color temp that necessarily a bad thing?

- What color temp should the bulbs be? 5K?

- Although this is a day scene, I'd like to avoid a super "high key" look. Are there any other tips you can give to achieve this?

Any and all advice would be highly appreciated!

(I apologize if this has already been answered in another forum. If so I'd appreciate a link.)

Thanks

Attached Images

• 64f2_15350211068_o_1280_8.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

First thing would be to get rid of all that yellow with production design, cover the yellow walls with contact paper or something, etc.  It's very hard to fight a warm-painted room with cold lighting.

Yes, if you put some blue lampshades on the hanging lamps, you could try daylight compact flos or LED bulbs, though they will have a bit of green in them.  Or use blue-dipped photofloods for a half-correction compared to daylight.

With a white ceiling like that, it would be useful to bring in an HMI Joker 400 or 800 Source-4 Leko so you could bounce a slash of daylight on the ceiling if you want an overhead key like over the bar.

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Pro 8mm

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineLab

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies