#1 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:59 AM

Hey All

Might be on a shoot up in Chicago this coming end of June. Right now it's between shooting some actual B/W film or IR Modified Alexas (XTs.) Both the director and I are very much so behind the Alexa as a system since it gives a look which we both feel will be beneficial to this particular project. However, information on the IR version is rather scant, aside from the brief tech specs and the info that you have to go ArriRaw.

In any case, If anyone has anything to look out for when working in IR with the Alexa I'd be delighted to hear it.

Specifically; lensing and focusing-- I am assuming they are some lenses in existence (possibly @ CSC with whom we'll be speaking) which already have the witness marks re-set for IR focus. Granted this may not be as big of an issue in the digital realm as there is a slight WYSIWYG -v- shooting IR stills (which I've done but rarely).

Next would be switching modes. As it stands it seems to me, and is yet to be confirmed by CSC, that it's either a Monochrome OR an IR system-- since there is a BLT filter for both-- but I am curious as the XT normally has a filter wheel, memory serving, that in reality it is just a switch from the IR to the B/W filter in camera.

Also; since you're dealing with a 2000 ISO system, are there any specific ND's which work best on the camera proper in order to control exposure. Especially when shooting IR in EXT locations.

Also; I know that dimming down a Tungsten feature will result in more IR exposure from it-- but are there any hard and fast rules for how much more you get since, obviously you can't really light meter IR (unless i'm wrong-- are there any ways to get an IR exposure reading these days? Haven't touched IR in a long long while)

In any case-- any info is much appreciated, as always, and I"ll of course also be speaking with CSC if we wind up going that way -- and who knows-- maybe try to sneak back to NY to test the thing out before we shoot.

-Adrian

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other
  • Right on the edge in London

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:44 AM

Next would be switching modes. As it stands it seems to me, and is yet to be confirmed by CSC, that it's either a Monochrome OR an IR system-- since there is a BLT filter for both-- but I am curious as the XT normally has a filter wheel, memory serving, that in reality it is just a switch from the IR to the B/W filter in camera.

Sounds really exciting!

My understanding is that the Alexa Monochrome uses a magnetic filter system which allows you to set it up for normal monochrome or Infra Red.

The filters just snap into place magnetically, which is very clever.

I'm not sure if that is the camera system that is available out where you are tho Adrian!

I havn't heard of anyone shooting IR on the Alexa so I would love to see some footage/stills if this happens! :)

Freya

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:31 AM

I'm really pushing for it Freya, really pushing for it.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

I certainly wouldn't want to mess with shooting infrared film for a shoot, since exposure is so hard to determine -- at least with an infrared monochrome digital camera, you can see the exposure.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

Amen to that, David; though a part of me kinda-- sorta-- would love to try still (ideally I wonder if you could use a modified IR stills camera as a kind of light meter, digital, ya know-- basically bracket the scene with that and then-- well you get the idea).

#6 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 563 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

A quick search of IR Alexa

http://nofilmschool....rri-alexa-xt-bw

And something beautiful that an Irish photographer, Richard Mosse, did years ago (on film tho!)

I have his book and it is amazing, beautiful compositions and very inspiring colors.

When shooting Broken Hugs by Almodovar we shot a sequence in IR b&w (it is not in the final cut tho), we shot with a modified Genesis and Rodrigo lit the sequence (all happened in the most absolute darkness inside a restaurant for blind people) with little IR lights bought from a local Lighting Shop.

Very interesting results!

#7 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2264 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

Sounds like a really cool project that you could have some fun with, Adrian.  Best of luck with it!

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

Miguel;

thanks. I actually had seen some of his stills awhile ago; probably from the same project; but never knew he rolled 16mm. While we're not in color for this project; that particular work has always had a special place in my head

I'll read up on the no film school later on, and yes, Bill, i am very excited for this one.

May even wind up working my way up to NY to check out the camera--- if we go that way, on my own dime- just to get a feel for it, unless of course there is on in LA to play with somewhere. Still, very early stages of what is a "go" project; but early stages of zeroing in on what is achievable for us in our little work. Either way this in particular is going to be something very special that I am excited, which is rare for me honestly, to take some responsibility of authorship for.

I generally dislike my work, am disquieted by doing it-- if that makes sense-- and perhaps a little embarrassed by it. it's my nature, that is for sure, and stems for many things. But for some reason; this particular project resonates with me in such a way that I am much looking forward to showing off the end results.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Zylight

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Technodolly

Pro 8mm

CineLab

Glidecam