Joris van den Berg

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Director
  • Hamburg, Germany

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

I'm looking to get a decent adapter mounting a speed panchro (series II) to the e-mount of an A7s.
While the metabones adapter runs about $160 I see there are more expensive alternatives out there.

How do these compare? Is it really worth it to spend those extra 300 bucks or so for a temporary solution?

I'm planning to use this and other panchros from the same series with the sony for a while before sending them off to TLS to have them rehoused with PL mount for a larger project in the near future. This will most likely end up being Alexa mini or perhaps Epic based setup later on.

Right now I'm trying to get this little setup working together without spending too much cash.  Nonetheless I do want to keep everything nice and even (as much as possible in this case) and maintain as much quality/usability as I can.

So I am also wondering about the effect an adapter might have on the focal length or other issues I might run into using a non permanent adapter.

Cheers
Joris

#2 Alex Stone

Alex Stone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:56 AM

Whilst I have not used the Metabones Arriflex adapter, if it's anything like their other adapters I would think it works well. It shouldn't affect focal length or infinity focus or anything like that, Metabones adapters are made to pretty accurate tolerances.

As an aside, I'm looking at getting the Metabones PL-E mount in the near future and am wondering about that - I'm not sure whether it's shimmable or not, or whether buying other brand shims would work... I think it is/would!

Visual Products

Zylight

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Pro 8mm

CineLab

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Glidecam