#1 John Nguyen

John Nguyen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:02 PM

I'm deciding to pick up a used AF100 or C100. The C100 leads in all cetegroies except for two very huge ones for me: the m4/3 mount that lets me use any old vintage photo lens and undercranking.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that adapting old manual focus photo lenses to the C100 isn't nearly as difficult as with Canon DSLRS if I use adapters like these: http://amzn.to/1IgzoiJ If this is right, that cancels out the m4/3 mount adaptibility advantage.

So it's really just undercranking. I'd like to use 22 fps once in awhile and it seems like the GH4 and AF100 are the only large sensor cameras that allow true VFR in this manner. I'm trying to figure out if there's a good work around with the C100.

Let's say with 22fps with a 180 shutter angle, that would give us 1/44th of a second shutter speed. According to a C100 manual online, the C100 in 24p mode only allows 1/48th and 1/40th. Even set to shutter angle mode, it only allows 180 or 240 degrees, nothing in between, where 216 would be what I need. Assuming I go with 1/40th shutter speed as a compromise for motion blur, how much of a percentage speed up in editing would I do to mimic the speed up from using 22 fps? I assume it's about 9% (24 divided by 22), but this never seemed to pan out when I tried it a few years back. It always looked unnaturally fast, especially compared to using real 22fps on my old HVX200. What was I doing wrong?

Thanks much for any help!

#2 David Peterson

David Peterson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:23 AM

I'm deciding to pick up a used AF100 or C100. The C100 leads in all cetegroies except for two very huge ones for me: the m4/3 mount that lets me use any old vintage photo lens and undercranking.

You're missing an area where the AF100 leads hugely: it is about a half to a third the price of a C100 on eBay. A rather big difference!

Anyway, why do you want to shoot 22fps?? It is a very very odd choice. 

btw, I'm half considering an AF100 myself as a very cheap camcorder compliment to a GH4/GH1 set up. 

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Zylight

The Slider

Willys Widgets