#1 Matias Nicolas

Matias Nicolas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

Hi, what is the difference when working with Alexa in 180 ir in 360 degrees? I know that I gain 1 stop of light, so for me that's worth ... but what relly happens with the action? When paning fast y sense kind of video image... What are your sense?

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

With any film or digital motion picture camera, a 180 degree shutter at 24fps equals a shutter speed of 1/48 second. Only digital video cameras with an electronic shutter instead of a mechanical shutter can shoot with a 360 degree (or fully open/off) shutter. If you used a 360 degree shutter at 24fps, your shutter speed would now be 1/24. So there would be twice as much motion blur.

If you've done any manual still photography with an SLR, then you are probably aware that you'll start to see motion blur on everyday human movement like walking or waving at around 1/60 of a second, give or take depending on focal length. So 1/48 is already below that threshold and has a significant amount of motion blur. 1/24 is a very slow shutter speed for sampling movement and thus the motion blur will be even more obvious. It's definitely a perceptible look that general audiences will notice.

If you want to see specific examples, I would look at night exteriors in Michael Mann's digitally shot films like 'Collateral', 'Miami Vice', and 'Public Enemies.'

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

360 is fairly smeary, motion-wise, and adds a video-ish feeling to the motion. Should be used selectively either for a static shot with hardly any motion, or for that smeary look.

240 degrees is a little safer if you need a little more exposure.

#4 Matias Nicolas

Matias Nicolas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

Ok! So I'll go 240 ... Cause I noticed in fast pans, that video-ish look ... 

CineTape

Pro 8mm

CineLab

Glidecam

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Zylight

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider