105 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Pickering

Scott Pickering
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:42 PM

Being I love anything shot on 65mm film, I have great interest in how Tarantino's new "Hateful Eight" film will turn out. I'll see if I can get to a theater that will project it in 70mm. I have read this film is using every 5 perf 65mm camera out there, and Panavision even rebuilt the old cameras and lenses that were used on Ultra Panavision productions. Haven't heard any news on the production since shooting. Anyone have any info or news on this? Any comments?

#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Production has been very quiet. No still's, no real reports on how things went. Even the lab's been pretty quiet. 

#3 Shawn Martin

Shawn Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

There are a couple of pictures out there of them shooting with the two System 65 cameras - the Studio and the HR.

I wonder if they're using the Arri 765 as well. I'd like to see the old giant "Silenced Studio Camera" Panavision apparently rebuilt too.

Looking forward to watching this in actual 70mm, if I can.

#4 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:40 PM

Do you have any links to those pix? I've looked everywhere and google can't find them… :)

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

They're on Panavision's Facebook page

#6 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

11136108_971811996176799_360607144091836

11060895_971816172843048_453800332676864

#7 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:10 AM

Ahh cool. That's the one thing I don't like about Facebook. If you miss something someone posted, it's sometimes impossible to find it. :) 

Someday I wanna be behind the camera… :)

#8 Shawn Martin

Shawn Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:44 PM

ic5NQ0.jpg
NHZQ8e.jpg

#9 Leon Liang

Leon Liang
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Student
  • Sydney

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:32 AM

The teaser trailer is out. Looks amazing!
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=gnRbXn4-Yis

#10 Mei Lewis

Mei Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Other
  • UK

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

the sutff in the cabin looks very stagey. A deliberate stylistic choice?

#11 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

the sutff in the cabin looks very stagey. A deliberate stylistic choice?

Isn't that like asking "when did you stop beating your wife?"

If the answer to your question is "no" then it suggests that the filmmakers don't know what they are doing because they got a look they didn't choose deliberately, and if the answer is "yes" then it implies that the basic premise of the question is legitimate, that the movie looks stagey in a negative way (generally no one uses the term "stagey" in a positive way, when they want to, they'd use a more neutral term like "stylized" or "theatrical").

#12 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other
  • Right on the edge in London

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:56 AM

Production has been very quiet. No still's, no real reports on how things went. Even the lab's been pretty quiet. 

There is an interesting interview with Quentin where he sounds a bit more subdued about  everything including the new movie.

I would have thought he would be really excited to be doing the whole 70mm thing but he doesn't seem that excited by how it has come out.

Personally I think it looks great visually going on the trailer but obviously maybe Quentin is concerned about how the movie is working out as a whole.

He hasn't had a great time what with the script being leaked and everything tho.

You can read the interview here:

http://www.vulture.c...r-share-vulture

Edited by Freya Black, 25 August 2015 - 05:57 AM.

#13 Nathan Walters

Nathan Walters
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

Pretty interesting interview.  I think Tarantino just gets frustrated with the shifting culture as a whole.  And in using such old lenses and technology in production, I don't know, maybe there could have been some obstacles to overcome.  Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure the film will be remarkable, but that's coming from a Tarantino fanboy.

#14 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Yea, I read that yesterday and I take it with a grain of salt. 

I've been in his place before, the last thing you want to do is be interviewed when your in the middle of cutting something. Your mind is focused on the cutting, not the stupid questions the interviewer is asking. He clearly had no interest in doing the interview, some of his answers were like "I'm done with this" so I assume that's why he seems frustrated.

#15 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:29 PM

I stopped giving interviews years ago.. 

#16 Mei Lewis

Mei Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Other
  • UK

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

I didn't put that very well.

I didn't mean stagey in a negative way, just that it looks like it was shot on a stage. I definitely didn't mean stylized, because the whole trailer is _very_ stylized.

I guess my real question is, assuming they've made the interiors look deliberately like they were shot on a stage/not in a real location, why have they done that?

Is it some reference I don't get? Is that how a lot of classic westerns were shot?

Edited by Mei Lewis, 26 August 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#17 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

I've been watching some classic westerns recently and no, they weren't shot like that.

Honestly, I'm very much into motivated lighting and I don't see much coming from that main set. However, we won't know until we see the film. Perhaps there are holes in the roof everywhere and that's why we see shafts of light coming down. I'm reserving judgement until I see the film.

#18 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

I moved from Alaska to LA just to be able to see this movie in 70mm.  I don't think there is a single celuloid projector left in that state, let alone a 70mm.  Maybe that is an exageration, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  So archlight? Is that the call in LA for 70mm, or is there a better theater?

(also did RR change from northface to canadian goose down? I don't think I can critisize him on any cinemagraphic choice, but good on him for the CGD. That certainly isn't a working mans Carhart. I've seen many a man start out with any other brand to find himself $1300 lighter with CGD as his armor)

#19 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2374 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

Since the film is being shot in 2.76:1 aspect ratio, the only screens which are setup for this are curved one's like the cinerama dome. So there are only 3 theaters in the US really capable of projecting the film as it was meant to be and the cinerama dome in Hollywood is one of them.

My only worry is the anamorphic presentation. Since it's a curved screen, there needs to be a curved lens. The cinerama dome has one for 35/70, but I'm not sure if they have one for anamorphic 70. Having seen test footage, it's going to look amazing in 70mm. It's absolutely not so amazing in digital.

#20 Vivek Venkatraman

Vivek Venkatraman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:23 PM

I've been watching some classic westerns recently and no, they weren't shot like that.

Honestly, I'm very much into motivated lighting and I don't see much coming from that main set. However, we won't know until we see the film. Perhaps there are holes in the roof everywhere and that's why we see shafts of light coming down. I'm reserving judgement until I see the film.

The shafts of light is something Robert Richardson does in a lot of his movies often with no motivation.

It can be seen on the tables in Inglorious Basterds,Kill Bill,Django Unchained and even Eat,Pray,Love. I have no idea why he likes doing that.

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Pro 8mm

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Glidecam

Zylight