Photo

This Is A Stupid Question, but I need to know!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ernie Zahn

Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

Hi, I need help handling manual exposure. I've used it before on my 16mm little Kodak, but that had a chart on it telling me what to shoot at when it's this kind of light and at this certain frame rate. And I've always shot with auto exposure with my Canon because the light is balanced so perfectly. But that Canon was silent and my sound Nizo which I'm going to use on my next project is not quite as good with auto exposure. I'm aware of why the Canon is better with auto exposure and I'm also aware that negative stock particularly Pro8mm negative stock is not ideal for auto exposure. So if anyone could guide me through what I need to know for manual exposure that'd be great. I'm going to shoot at 24fps and the Nizo is a 3056.

#2 S8 Booster

S8 Booster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Other
  • retired

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

One option with the canon: zoom in on a hand or head. take take the reading and lock the aperture. this is what the pros did in the past if they did not have a light meter at hand. the canon 8/1014 XLS lens is totally linear over the zoom range so a reading at full tele is valid for the entire zoom range.

depends somewhat on the motif. composed image reading and lock may work fine to due to the AE-1 built in light metering system.

t

#3 Ernie Zahn

Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the help. What you mean is I should get a reading of the light on the surface of my main focus and adjust within a F-Stop give or take?

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Visual Products

CineLab

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies