Photo

How was this done?

Steven Soderbergh lighting diagrams diagram cookie cookies soderbergh king of the hill

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Andrew

Jeff Andrew

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madison Wi

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:56 PM

Hey everyone, 

I'm trying to re-create this still from King of the Hill as a learning exercise. I attached it below. 

It seems fairly straight forward but I can't seem to get the key to look right. I used a charlie bar and two Dedo 150's for the background and that looked ok but the eyelight kick and the key i'm struggling with. 

Thoughts? Diagrams? 

Thanks so much!

Attached Images

• King of The Hill.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

There is no separate eyelight, the key light is being reflected in his eyes, which is easier when shooting a young face with big eyes and a round face without deep eye sockets.  Judging by the size of the reflection, it's neither a point source or a large soft light, so probably something in-between like a paper lantern.

#3 Jeff Andrew

Jeff Andrew

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madison Wi

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:41 PM

There is no separate eyelight, the key light is being reflected in his eyes, which is easier when shooting a young face with big eyes and a round face without deep eye sockets.  Judging by the size of the reflection, it's neither a point source or a large soft light, so probably something in-between like a paper lantern.

Thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense.

I tried it with a paper lantern and it worked very well. Now just to shape it a bit more and get the shadows looking correct... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steven Soderbergh, lighting, diagrams, diagram, cookie, cookies, soderbergh, king of the hill

Zylight

The Slider

Pro 8mm

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineLab