Lisa Inserra

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

Resurrected my Super 8 / Reg. 8 film projector...a Kodak Instamatic M67. I have many reels of Super 8 film spliced together into long reels that take a few hours to play back. I want to pull out a few scenes to get them into digital form and tried to simply record the projection on my Canon 7D. On first try the flickering on the digital version made it unusable. I changed the frame rate on my 7D recording to 23.97 (24)  hoping it would match the frame rate of the projector. Small improvement, but instead of a flicker I'm getting a rolling effect. Any suggestions?

#2 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:11 AM

By the looks of it that projector runs at 18fps which is probably what your film was shot at. There's no prospect of it synchronising with a 24p camera.

#3 Carl Looper

Carl Looper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Even if the projector was nominally 24 fps, it would flicker anyway. There are various factors producing this. For one, the projector's speed won't be exact. It's average rate might be 23.6 fps, or 24.9 fps, causing drift to occur. The speed can also vary a little as the film runs which can induce drift.. The projector also has a number of shutter blades (typically 3) which produce all sorts of oscillations in terms of brightness. Even if the projector had just one blade and ran exactly at 24 fps, you could end up with nothing on the video because each camera capture could be happening when the blade was blocking the film.

So what's the solution? Well rather than just give up (which is a bit boring) one can experiment with the flicker effect - investigate it - do experiments which reveal the nature of the flicker and why it happens. After doing so one will be in a much better position to understand both the problem and how a solution might be intuited.

C

#4 Danny Stanford

Danny Stanford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student
  • Memphis, TN

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

I had this issue with my Elmo projector, but I adjusted the frame rate in the camera until it was gone. I can't remember the rate I use, but I believe it is a much faster rate than that of the projector. Trying to sync them is not going to work. You'll just have to use trial and error.

#5 Lisa Inserra

Lisa Inserra

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:18 PM

Thanks Danny. I'll give it a shot.

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets