#1 Marc Everston

Marc Everston

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

I have a digital film (black and white and color) that I want to transfer to film. My question is about, first, whether I should transfer the film to black and white film or color film; and then, what my options are if I'm interested in hand processing.

1. I have heard that transfering digital BW to color film may make the BW images have colored hues. But if I transfer to BW film, I would lose the color images.

2. If I get the film transfered to a film negative, is it possible to hand process the negative and also have a print made with normal processing? I'm not quite sure how processing works--once I have the negative in my hand, do I have to make a decision between EITHER hand processing OR having it professionally done and once it's processed it's done? (does it actually change the film itself and then you would project that?). Or if I'm interested in testing out hand processing but worried about wrecking the film (or if it looks terrible), is it possible to have the negative film duplicated beforehand so I could hand process one version and professionally process the other? Or would I just have to ask the digital-to-film lab to film the movie twice and make two negatives, one that I would hand process, and one that I would have them process professionally?

#2 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:55 AM

After the eye-watering cost of a film-out  (£200/ minute) I don't think you'd want to chance  hand processing.

You might try filming the show off an LCD screen.

#3 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:21 AM

It's a bit less than that in the US for a 16mm film out. Video & Film Solutions does it for $110/minute MOS and $150/minute with sound. Still not exactly inexpensive. 

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

CineTape

Glidecam

Pro 8mm

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Technodolly