Photo

Which camera for mounting to racing go-karts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:23 AM

Hi guys,

I have a shoot coming up where we want to record onboard action on pro-level racing go-karts, and I’m trying to decide on the best way to approach things.

Ideally I’d rather be able to record higher quality footage than I can get from a couple of GoPros, so I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a good small-form-factor option?

Ideally I’d like a camera with a global shutter (the new Blackmagic Micro Camera would be perfect, but doesn’t ship until July). I think the Codex Action Cam would be great, but I’m not sure how available they are to rent down here in Australia (I’m waiting to hear back from Codex).

Blackmagic Pocket Cameras would be easy to source, but I worry that the rolling shutter could be problematic on that camera.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that might be worth looking into.

I’d also be keen to hear of any rigging solutions people have used before that have worked well (so that I have a starting point to go over things with my Key Grip.

I'd also be keen to hear people's thoughts on hard-mounting to a go-kart vs. using gimbals for stabilisation. I wonder whether the smoother motion would take immediacy out of the visuals?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:23 AM

I think the smoother would make it more poetic; which could be interesting-- but yeah, probably not worth it.

Have you thought of the BM 4K? It's a global shutter, not huge, either, and you could power it for ages with a cheap cable and some Sealed Lead Acid batts. throw on a cheap Rokinon and let it roll.

Pocket is of course a smaller option. I'd not worry too much about the rolling shutter-- but you could, I suppose give it a test. They are cheap enough (could be a good side camera anyway to a main 4K Cinema).

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:46 AM

Thanks Adrian, I'd rather forgotten about the 4K Blackmagic's global shutter. It's a bit more heft to rig, but nicely self-contained. I look into it.

I tend to prefer smooth and poetic. But a key goal for this video is to show the insane speeds these karts can reach (we're going to drag it alongside either a Ferrari or Lamborghini!). So I really want to feel the speed as much as possible.

Speaking of which. Wide-angle lenses on the Blackmagic Pocket camera - any recommendations? I have a Tokina 11mm that mounts with a Speedbooster for the equivalent of a 23mm lens on Full-Frame (which is WIDE), but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend other options?

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6771 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:49 AM

If you want really wide and cheap on a pocket, Rokinon 8mm. I normally use a PL mount 9.5 mm super speed on my own pocket.

Also the 8mm Roki in EoS will cover the 4K nicely.

If you want smooth/speed, what about mounting a Ronin type system with a 4K or something similar to a cart for a go? Then you can pan and tilt with the remote for some interesting shots. Dunno how feasible that is within your means and the like or what's easy to source over there in Oz.

Zylight

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

The Slider