• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Erik

Erik
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

hi there -
This is probably an easy one ---
I've got a project using mostly widescreen footage, but with a few minutes of 1:1.33 academy ratio stuff. I want to retain both the widescreen and academy ratios as/is. When I import the academy stuff into FPC, will it bring up little black bars on the right/left of the footage and retain the shape of the widescreen window? Or will it default into some kind of "full screen" mode? If the latter, how can I get the bars to come up?
No one on 2-pop.com could/did answer. :(

thanks!
E

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:05 PM

hi there -
This is probably an easy one ---
I've got a project using mostly widescreen footage, but with a few minutes of 1:1.33 academy ratio stuff. I want to retain both the widescreen and academy ratios as/is. When I import the academy stuff into FPC, will it bring up little black bars on the right/left of the footage and retain the shape of the widescreen window? Or will it default into some kind of "full screen" mode? If the latter, how can I get the bars to come up?
No one on 2-pop.com could/did answer.  :(

thanks!
E

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to pick a single recording format (4x3 or 16x9, using side or top & bottom mattes for one or the other) or edit two masters, one where all the 4x3 shots are converted to 16x9 with side borders, or where all the 16x9 footage is converted to 4x3 with 1.78 letterboxing.

#3 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

Hi

If you set your sequence settings in FCP to be 16:9, and then drop a 4:3 clip onto the timeline it should automatically pillorbox it as a 4:3 shot ,with black bars either side(you have to make sure that the clip preferences are set to 4:3)

You could also resize the 4:3 shot slightly, by zooming it to say 14:9 so the bars a the side aren't too intrusive.

Depending on the speed of your mac you may have to render the 4:3 shots - because the slower machines won't to the resize on the fly.

Edited by Phil Connolly, 18 May 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#4 Erik

Erik
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:09 PM

Hi

If you set your sequence settings in FCP to be 16:9, and then drop a 4:3 clip onto the timeline it should automatically pillorbox it as a 4:3 shot ,with black bars either side(you have to make sure that the clip preferences are set to 4:3)

You could also resize the 4:3 shot slightly, by zooming it to say 14:9 so the bars a the side aren't too intrusive.

Depending on the speed of your mac you may have to render the 4:3 shots - because the slower machines won't to the resize on the fly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good deal, exactly what I was hoping for - thanks!
EH

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Technodolly