5 replies to this topic

#1 Twan Peeters

Twan Peeters
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:18 AM

Hi there,

On my new film we have a Sony F3 available to shoot with with Superspeeds Mark II lenses.

Now we also need to shoot some slowmotion, but this camera doesn't. Due to the low budget we are thinking of hiring a FS7 for a few days and shoot the rest with the F3, but I'm not sure these images will match up? Does the Sony image line up well when mixing with other cameras of their product line?

Hope someone can give me some advice here!

Cheers,
Twan

#2 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:36 AM

as far as I know they have completely different color science so you really should shoot some tests to find a somewhat matching settings (the F3 color science is based on the Sony EX camera line and FS7 is more towards F5/55/65 line)

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

I have the F5 (same sensor as the FS7) and had an F3 before it.

In short - they'll basically match up as well as two different sensors can. Colour, sharpness and latitude are extremely comparable. I find it very hard to discern much difference between the two when recording in 10-bit 4:2:2 at 24/25fps.

#4 David Peterson

David Peterson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand.

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:50 AM

Mark, I'm looking into getting the F3, if a person is just recording 10 bit 422 ProRes HQ in 1080p 60fps or less, would you say there is no real difference between using a F3 vs F5?

#5 Twan Peeters

Twan Peeters
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

Thanks guys, fortunately we ended up being able to afford the FS7 for the whole shoot. So I didn't need to worry about the difference in quality anymore.

David, I can't give you a solid answer on this, but what I do know is that you will need to plug in an external recorder to the F3 to be able to record 10bit prores 4:2:2. If you decide to record internally with the F3 you can only get 8 bit 4:2:0. So here there will be a quality difference.

#6 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:41 PM

Mark, I'm looking into getting the F3, if a person is just recording 10 bit 422 ProRes HQ in 1080p 60fps or less, would you say there is no real difference between using a F3 vs F5?

10-bit ProResHQ from the F3, is extremely similar to 1080p 4:2:2 XAVC (or externally recorded ProRes) from the F5. Both will give you a superb, high dynamic range 1080p image (assuming you shoot SLOG).

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Zylight

Paralinx LLC

Pro 8mm

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products