Lili Chin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • United States

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:56 PM

Hi All, I just posted a thread about trouble with my 16mm, but this one is for my Super 8. 

So the telecine post house did a transfer of my film and I compared it with my lousy home transfer (shot it of the wall with a HDCAM camera in 2007. I used a blue filter to push the white balance to give the film a warm look (the color looks pretty faithful to the original). I feel his transfer didn't give me enough of a mid tone range (granted it was shot on Super 8 Ektachrome reversal) and also, in the darks there seems to be some red tones.

Let me explain, he initally gave me a flat scan transfer because he 'forgot' to set the nodes and the scan came out flat. After he returned the super 8 originals to me, he only had the flat scans he did, which were the DPX files and regraded the films to pull the blacks down and the whites up. His retiming seemed to crush and highlights and put some red in the shadows... 

Any opinion on this? Is there a way to use scopes to compare and see how much extra red is in the darks on his transfer? See the side by side comparison - left is my bad transfer off the wall, right is a telecine 2K xfer on a Spirit....My goal was to take the 2K and remaster the edited film that is currently using my HDCAM xfer (it's actually a dvcpro HD codec). I want to upres it to 2K. The clarity is so much better, but the color timing is not good. Do you think that the job warrants a retransfer? 

I have much better quality images of the comparison, but had to compress it for this post. please email me if you want the large file for comparison. 

Thank so much

Lili

Attached Images

• small angie.jpg
  • small notre dame.jpg

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Visual Products

The Slider

Zylight