Photo

Book recommendations and other resources for film cameras?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dave Scott

Dave Scott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

I'm a musician with a studio filled with technology from yesteryear (70s-90s). I can easily find books and online information on 2" analog tape, mixing consoles and various audio gear, but I'm having an awfully difficult time finding the equivalent for film making of yesteryear. For example, I can't find much info on those late 70s/early 80s Arriflex cameras, and I have no idea what kind of color correction hardware was available and was used back then.

If anyone can point me to any books or online resources I'd appreciate it. In particular, I'm talking stuff that covers 35mm film cameras, film processing, editing, color correction and so on. I don't need technique necessarily, I just have no idea what gear was/is available, how they work, or just anything.

I'm only used to DSLRs, Arri/Chimera lighting rig stuff, Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve. Nothing but new digital :( Not that digital is bad (I love my 80s and 90s digital stuff), but you know...

Edited by Dave Scott, 12 July 2015 - 08:37 AM.

#2 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

The ​Professional Cameraman’s Handbook has had a few editions since its publishing in 1970. You might find it to be a worthwhile guide to these older cameras. 

Technodolly

The Slider

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab