#1 Luke Roberts

Luke Roberts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director
  • Akron

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

So I wrapped production on a guerrilla short, but a couple of mishaps occurred during the process.

The first one was when the Krasnogorsk-3 took a fall. It didn't descend super fast, but enough to damage the cosmetics a tad. Checked everything. Thought the film advancing sounded off. Then it got really off. Opened it up briefly (in somewhat subdued light) and inside it was a mess (film all over the place). I covered myself with a coat and examined the innards, and indeed something went wrong. The take up spool wasn't taking anything up. Thankfully there wasn't much film left, but I wound the rest into the take up by hand. Then I loaded the next roll.

The next 100' went smoothly until the same problem (take up spool not taking) recurred to a lesser degree. Again near the end. As far as exposing it, I was in a controllable lighting situation, but I'm guessing the film may be scratched up a bit there, which might actually look cool. I was shooting handheld at this point, and I did move the camera a bit. I'm wondering if that has to do with it? Or perhaps I have permanently damaged the camera?

Appreciate any expert hypotheses, thoughts, and comments. I can post a video(s) if needed.

#2 Luke Roberts

Luke Roberts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director
  • Akron

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

Double post. Sorry.

UPDATE: I noticed the Take-Up Spindle tends to wobble a bit. The metal take-up tends to scratch the big inner plate intervallically when the camera is running of course.

Edited by Luke Roberts, 16 July 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#3 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1637 posts
  • Other
  • Near Basel, Switzerland

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:21 AM

That camera sure needs being checked out. Take up is a basic function, no compromise allowed. Go see a doctor. Camera doctor

#4 Luke Roberts

Luke Roberts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director
  • Akron

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

I could send it back to Bernie; however, I'd probably be better off with an Arriflex. I would have to be considerably more careful.

#5 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2001 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

...intervallically....

Delightfull, a new word for me. So there is a sctratch event at regular (intervalic) points in time?

Hey the Bolex used to be the camera that all beginers and experimental film makers used here. They are still a great little camera, but some now will be to long since their last lube. Service needs to be regular (intervalic, dare I try that)

#6 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

I love the K3 for what it's good for; the run-n-gun handheld shots you can't get any other way. However, if you move to an Arri SR you will be blown away with the difference in stability. Having a 400' load option is nice too...although I still use 100' loads often.

Remember however that is a very different camera and not really easy for handheld shots. Everything has to slow down a little when moving from a handheld 16mm.

Best to have both honestly. I was so sick of winding that K3 that I went to Scoopics for that type of work and haven't missed my K3.

#7 Luke Roberts

Luke Roberts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Director
  • Akron

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

I love the K3 for what it's good for; the run-n-gun handheld shots you can't get any other way. However, if you move to an Arri SR you will be blown away with the difference in stability. Having a 400' load option is nice too...although I still use 100' loads often.

Remember however that is a very different camera and not really easy for handheld shots. Everything has to slow down a little when moving from a handheld 16mm.

Best to have both honestly. I was so sick of winding that K3 that I went to Scoopics for that type of work and haven't missed my K3.

With the handheld shots I've filmed it's hard to notice the K3's jittery quality. The winding was a pain for me too. I had to be careful not to pull the key out, which happened once. The Scoopics look nice, but I'm not fond of the flickering, and they seem hard to find.

Visual Products

Abel Cine

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Serious Gear