Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:35 PM

Before heading out to Panavision - quick question

I am completley new to Panavision kit but want to know if what you see is what you get with horizontal flaring in the viewfinder.

In other words the horizontal flaring from light sources that I see in the viewfinder - will it be exactly the same on the film

Or are there other issues at stake - camera body etc. I might be looking at something where we need really accurate representation of flaring without having to wait for dailies

thanks

Rolfe

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:44 PM

Check this link out:

http://www.claudiomi...com/Extras.html

Claudiop Miranda tested flaring of both the 50mm and 75mm C-Series and Primos.

As far as I know the flaring is dependent on the lenses only. Since the typical horizontal anamorphic flares are something that happens inside the lens (before it reaches the mirror shutter and gate) what you see in the viewfinder/videotap is what you get on film.

#3 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

great link, great gaffer | DP - the tests look like "film outs" not Video Assist footage.

And it makes me think he was doing the tests to check flaring - which one would assume you would be able to see in viewfinder - then why the film out test?

I will ask when I go in to PV

The reason I ask is sometimes zoom flares come out stronger on film then they seem to in the viewfinder - wondering how accurate (camera body, lens, eye film emulsion, shutter prism etc issues) the flares will be

thanks

Rolfe

#4 Boone Hudgins

Boone Hudgins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Other
  • Toledo, OR

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:02 PM

Would a flare be affected by the glass in the viewfinder? In a sense that the flare would look different in the viewfinder than it would on film.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

The horizontal flare is stronger on film than it is in the viewfinder -- sorry. That's just one of the truths about shooting in anamorphic. If you don't want the flare, you have to be a little conservative about pointing bright point sources right into the lens, and if it is unavoidable, you want to make sure they aren't at the same height in the frame where the actors' eyes are, or else the line may go right across the frame and veil the eyes.

Sure, the flares you see in the viewfinder will definitely be on film, but there are occasional flares you don't catch which are still on film.

The flare is less obvious on prints than in a transfer off of the negative, where the lower contrast of the negative makes the flare more visible, which is more buried by the contrast of the print. So flares may be more obvious in video dailes but be less obnoxious in the print. But still there.

Only front-element anamorphic primes get the horizontal flare. Rear-adapted zooms and telephotos don't have this problem, but they tend not to be as sharp.

Don't be surprised by how much portholing there is with some lenses like the 40mm C-Series -- there is a 1/2 stop light drop-off around the edges of the frame. Generally not too noticeable but there. Remember these are basically like primes with wide-angle adaptors on the front (but wide-angle only in the horizontal direction) so you really see right up to the edges of the lenses. Barrel distortion is another major artifact, as well as breathing. Mainly with the wider-angle primes though.

#6 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:37 AM

thanks David and Max

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine