4 replies to this topic

#1 siddharth diwan

siddharth diwan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

I need to take a exterrior shot very pale with just people walking totally de-saturated how do i do that

#2 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

What?

You need to describe what you're doing in a clearer and more precise manner otherwise long run on sentences get confusing all jumbled up and I can't understand what you're asking.

Shoot monochrome.

#3 siddharth diwan

siddharth diwan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:15 AM

What?

You need to describe what you're doing in a clearer and more precise manner otherwise long run on sentences get confusing all jumbled up and I can't understand what you're asking.

Shoot monochrome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the shot is to show outside world in contrast with hyper reality in a room where most of the film is being shot with XL1. What i was lookiing for is to show outside world very pale, de-saturated and extremely low contrast.
thanks

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

the shot is to show outside world in contrast with hyper reality in a room where most of the film is being shot with XL1. What i was lookiing for is to show outside world very pale, de-saturated and extremely low contrast.
thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First I'd see if your camera has any adjustment in color (chroma) level possible; some DV cameras do. Turn it as low as you can. Low-Con, ProMist, Fog, etc. filters can make colors more pastel and lower the contrast, but they also diffuse the image.

Anyway, it's pretty easy in post to color-correct the image and lower the color level. Most basic editing software has that feature.

#5 drew_town

drew_town
  • Sustaining Members
  • 383 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Southeast US

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

First I'd see if your camera has any adjustment in color (chroma) level possible; some DV cameras do. Turn it as low as you can.  Low-Con, ProMist, Fog, etc. filters can make colors more pastel and lower the contrast, but they also diffuse the image.

Anyway, it's pretty easy in post to color-correct the image and lower the color level. Most basic editing software has that feature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right. Your XL1 custom presets will let you turn the saturation down as low as you want all the way to none. Use an Ultra Contrast lens filter if you only want to lower the contrast. Use a Low Contrast filter if you want to lower the contrast and want the highlights to glow. If you don't have any lens filters you could turn up the setup level under custom presets. That'll brighten the dark areas and make your image lower contrast.

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

CineTape

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS