No replies to this topic

#1 Akos Baranya

Akos Baranya
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

Hi everyone, I am lighting a scene for a music video on Sunday and I am excited about it as it will be the first time I get to light something that is bigger and somewhat narrative. I have done a fair amount of interviews and natural light stuff, but this is new for me.

here is something without a lot of lighting that I've done , don't mind the grade :

The technicalities: I will be using a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, at 800 ISO, with a 12-35 panasonic lens at f2.8

Lights: I have at my disposal 4  dedolight 150w spots and 2 150w softlights (a 5 light kit plus my own spot), plus 2 ARRI T1 fresnels. We didn't have a large budget to rent and more importantly it looked like we would be going off household power until after I got the lighting package. I have a led panel as well that I can use, an aputure ls1/2w with a very wide dispersal angle and high CRI, it could also be used if I gel it orange. I have one of those pre-cut lee master location gel packs, and a roll of opal frost. We have some oval diffusors, a few flags and a fair amount of cutters we can use from the theater.

The music video is for the most part going to be shadow theater, the scene that needs to be lit is the intro/outro sequence. In it, a girl is sitting across the dinner table from her man. The mood is supposed to be somewhat cold, he doesn't pay any attention to her, she is tearing up a napkin into ribbons. The remainder of the napkin flies down from the table, under the spread. She climbs down after it -> cue shadow theater part. In the end, we have a similar routine only the other way around and with a happier tone (he climbs down after her, they find each other via magical journey, they come out and happy end) .

We will have a huge (5.3m * 3.5m) lightable background that we have been using as the screen for the shadow play part. I thought it would be nice if that was evenly lit so it would be slightly glowing and we could put the table a few meters in front of it, on a platform, so we have separation from the backdrop. My idea was that if I light them with a low key in front of a glowing background, it would foreshadow the shadow play.

I have been looking a lot at Kris Malkiewicz's Film Lighting book, specifically the low key examples, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed. I would much appreciate any help!

reference for shadow theatre :

Edited by Akos Baranya, 21 August 2015 - 04:37 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

Zylight

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

CineTape

CineLab

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam