5 replies to this topic

#1 siddharth diwan

siddharth diwan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:24 AM

I'm shooting on Canon Xl1 with frame rate 24p mode, what meter settings do i need to do for that.

#2 Josh Hill

Josh Hill
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:56 PM

You cannot be shooting 24p on an XL1. If you're shooting in frame mode you're shooting 30P, but it's really not even real 30P if I remember correctly.

#3 Ed Moore

Ed Moore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

Or if it's a PAL XL1, frame movie mode would generate 25p.

But Josh is right, it's not "proper" progressive scan. I defer to the rather wonderful Adam Wilt:

These cameras get their "proscan" images not by truly perfoming progressive readout on the chips, but rather by offsetting the green CCD's read timing by one scanline during readout -- vertical pixel-shift, if you will. In essence, an even field from R & B CCDs is blended with an odd field from the G CCD, giving you a frame that has the scanlines for both fields captured at the same instant in time. This gives a definite improvement over mere field-doubled "frames", but it's not as sharp vertically as true proscan. Each "scanline" is actually composed of two scanlines from each chip, so there is some softening vertically; also, the effective chroma resolution is halved vertically.

As for the meter readings it's difficult to say exactly but I have heard figures bandied around for the XL1 with 0db gain being roughly equivalent to ISO 160 to 200. That makes a sort of sense to me as I know the F900 with it's larger CCDs reads out at 320.

If you have access to a really well lined-up monitor and an 18% reflectance grey card, you can work it out for yourself. Will post how if you like.

#4 Josh Hill

Josh Hill
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:05 AM

160 to 200 is way low, I think. All of the numbers I've seen tend to say the XL1(s) is up into the 500-800 range and possibly higher (depending on each individual camera). I believe I read, once, that it was even 1600.

But of course, I could be wrong (and so could the dozen of people writing articles postulating on the ISO rating of the XL1(s).)

#5 Mike Donis

Mike Donis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Director
  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

When shooting video, it rarely matters to have a light meter on set. Because the output is at full quality, what you see is what you get - the zebra settings are your biggest exposure determining tool.

#6 Sampsa Huttunen

Sampsa Huttunen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Helsinki, Finland

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:39 AM

I shot a documentary with Panasonic AG-DVX100A and Canon XL2 in 25p mode and found that XL2 needs more light than DVX100 which is around ISO 320.

CineTape

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Glidecam