Eros Salvatore

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Seattle

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:52 AM

I am looking for critiques of the cinematography and lighting in my 10 minute film "Tasha`s Dream". https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Zao_eGAZGSc
Thank you!

#2 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:30 AM

Did you change the lighting setup for Act two?  I feel like the unknown lightsource shifted towards the left from act one.

Is it suppose to be daytime, and that light source the sun?  Was there the possibility of shooting in that location when

the sun was actually blasting through the door, which I assume is off screen behind the camera?

What does the DP think about the setups?

I rather like hard lit scenes, but I feel like at the end when the two characters are talking the lighting changed from a warm yellow to a cool white or blue color temperature and

that was weird. 

You could try also posting on r/filmmakers or r/cinematography - they have lots of industry professionals also, but they are usually less kind than on this particular forum.

#3 Eros Salvatore

Eros Salvatore

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Seattle

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for your critique!

The lighting setup was indeed changed for Act 2!

The whole film is supposed to be nighttime. It was filmed on location in two buildings that were open to the air.

The doors and windows had been removed. The DP did the lighting setups.

So of course that was not the sun! How would you suggest it be relit in order to take away that impression?

More diffusion on the light? I believe it was bounced out of a corner or wall. BUt you did say you like hard lit scenes so was it just the movement of the light that was the problem in that scene?

In the scene with the man and the girl the backdrops for the two shots were blue while the one shots were yellow. Did that bother you that much?

Thanks for your help!

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Zylight