Photo

Questions from the bartech follow focus manual: what does "continuous operation cameras and momentary operations camera" mean?

bartech follow focus momenraty operation camera

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davide sorasio

davide sorasio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Student
  • New York

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

Hi everybody, reading the bartech BFD manual I ran into some functions that are not clear to me at all.

The first one is the switch for the MOM/CONT switch.

The second is the POT connector.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Davide Sorasio

#2 Kar Wai Ng

Kar Wai Ng
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

MOM/CONT is a momentary run or continuous run signal for the run/stop signal to the camera. Most cameras are momentary run. That is, a momentary short from the ground to run pin starts the camera running. Another momentary short stops the camera running. 

Some cameras, like the Red, need a continuous run signal. So in CONT mode, when you hit the camera run switch, that signal to run is continuous, and only when you cut that signal is cut.

POT connector is if you want to attach an external potentiometer to control the bartech; this is pretty specialized and you'll never need to use it.

#3 davide sorasio

davide sorasio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Student
  • New York

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

thanks for the precise explanation! the thing is that I'm a novice in camera stuff, so I think I'm missing a few step. The first thing is, how do I know if the camera I'm using is momentary or continuous run? and once I know it do I need to set something specific on the camera menu itself? And most important, what does it have to do with the functioning of the follow focus device? I know it might sound really silly but I do not get how the starting of the camera has something to do with the rotatory movement of the lens created by the motor of the follow focus. And is any of these things related to the RUN/STOP switch on the transmitter?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GREAT HELP!

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

First, you would have to know which camera system you were using. Then read the camera's manual. Then if still not sure, ask someone who would know. It all depends on the particular camera in question.

The run/stop function is separate from the follow focus function. It's usually included as a convenience by the manufacturer because most of the time when you need a wireless follow focus, the camera is up high on a crane, on a Steadicam, or otherwise out of the reach of the camera assistant. So it's just a nice bonus.

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Tai Audio

Pro 8mm

Zylight

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport