#1 John Silver

John Silver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Other
  • Marysville, WA, USA

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:47 AM

Hello everyone! I'm eternally grateful for all of the advice that came pouring in regarding my demo reel last year. For one thing, this year's version is shorter by almost two minutes. It was painful but I finally cut out all the fat this time 'round. I was able to get a decent crane shot in there as well. That said...here is the 2015 cinematography reel. My hope is to really sharpen up my shooting by this time next year so any input is welcome. Thanks again, everyone!

— JJ

Here's the link:

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6767 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:16 AM

Not bad @ all, though I'd consider pulling out the shot in the kitchen with the green toplight-- it looks over lit to my eye, the walk by at night also gives away a source very close in (in future you can use nets to keep the intensity consistent for the throw of the light) I would also consider keeping narrative / beauty shots and live event / any talking heads (docu if when you get it) in it's own reel. As a producer of a narrative  or MV I'd not want to be thrown out of a nice reel by under-performing shots by those standards which would be perfectly fine in a reality op/ documentary reel. I of course should take my own advice since I have a few docu shots in my reel but I personally like them-- which leads me to the final point-- only do to your reel what you agree with and not what everyone tells you  ; )

Good shooting

#3 John Silver

John Silver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Other
  • Marysville, WA, USA

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for your input, Adrian! The walk-by shot was the one I was reluctant to include. You can really see the source lighting in the leather jacket the closer they get. There's a longer version of the reel so I may pull something from there to replace it. By the kitchen scene do you mean the two ladies or the kid in the hoodie?

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6767 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:27 AM

Two ladies.

Pro 8mm

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam