New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:07 PM

Hi! I'm a newcomer to the forum, here is my first post:

I have recently acquired an Arriflex 16s with APEC metering. I am quite familiar with 16s cameras and have one that I run on 12v. I have not yet powered up my new one with APEC due to the fact that these were typically 8V cameras and I don't want to fry the meter with 12V - provided that the meter even still works. I am unable to find any information or operation manuals for this camera. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 Charlie Peich

Charlie Peich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

Ryan,

Welcome to the forum!

The answer to your question is… 12 volts.

A wee bit of history on the APEC metering on the 16S camera…..

The APEC metering system was 1st introduced on the 16BL camera in 1970. The 16BL is a 12 volt camera.

It was next built into the 16SR camera that was introduced in 1975.

The 16SR is a 12 volt camera.

In July of 1976, Arri announced the APEC for the 16S camera. It was around this time Arri was making the last “modernizations” on the 16S camera, to make the camera more adaptable to the newer accessories and production techniques.  Arri changed the camera’s operating voltage to 12 volts because of their new ‘quartz’ drive motor they offered. Of course the old 8 volt torque motors for the 200ft and 400ft mags were also changed to operate on 12 volts (easy to modify if you have 8-volt torque motors in your collection).

12 volts seemed to be the new industry standard (the upcoming 35-III required 12 volts), and Arri wanted to rid themselves of the old 8 volt/16 volt operating voltage.

This is an announcement article for the 16S APEC that was in an Arri USA “Arri News Update”. These updates would be sandwiched in the pages of “American Cinematographer”.  7/1976…….

76-07%2016S%20TTL%20metering%20-%2001_zp

However, no voltage requirement stated.

From an Arri Tech-Info brochure about Lens accessories for the 16S (or 16St) , there is a page showing the 16S with the APEC….

16S%20Tech-Info%20Lens%20Accessory%20Sys

If you look at item 9-Power Cable, you’ll see that the cable is wired or has a plug for the battery to accept 12 volts. So, there you go, 12 volts for the APEC.

(get item 10 – Adaptor plate, and item 11 – Bridge plate BP-3, and you have a very nice production camera!)

I mentioned above about the 12 volt ‘quartz” motor. This is a description of the motor and a reference to the APEC…..

IMG_20140207_0004_zpsffnzzrbg.jpg

The dial markings on the 16S APEC are similar to the markings on the 1st generation 16SR……

16SR%20%20006_zpsd6ibioag.jpg

Finally, an ad for the 16BL announcing the new APEC….

16-BL%20%20%201975%20sales%20brochure%20

If you look at the instructions for a 16SR, I feel you would understand how to operate your meter. I have not found any instructions for the 16S version. I didn't adapt my 16S for APEC, but I did update it for 12 volts.

I hope your APEC is working!

Charlie

#3 Ryan Buyssens

Ryan Buyssens

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

Wow, what a wealth of knowledge! Thank you.

I have just tested the camera and the meter works! Now, to test for accuracy against some meters and then run some film through it.

Thank you again for all the information, I love to know the depth and history of these great cameras.

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Visual Products

Zylight

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport