Photo

My Take on a Film Noir/Avant-Garde

short film filmmaking directing student independent as day turns to night film noir experimental avant-garde

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John W. King

John W. King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Student
  • Texas

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:21 AM

"As Day Turns to Night" was made for my production class. The film is my analysis of the psychological effects of loss and what it can drive a person to believe.

Any criticism is welcomed and very much appreciated!

https://www.youtube....h?v=ad6QHJAYgLw

Edited by John W. King, 27 September 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#2 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

Most of this is too dark to see what is going on.  Maybe I'll watch it tonight in a totally dark room so I can see what is actually happening.

The music track is so loud it is covering up whatever dialogue is suppose to be happening at the beginning, at least I think there was dialogue.  That might have something to do with Youtube,

but I doubt it.

I felt like the longest scene was that of the record spinning... that didn't really help tell the story.  But, since I couldn't see anything, I don't know if it actually had anything to do

with the story or not. 

If you're going to call something Noir, and I believe Noir covers or can be represented by a wide range of visuals, then perhaps taking a look at the original footage and finding a way to make contrast

with lighting application happen without artificially darkening the picture in post.  If this was the way it was shot originally, you need more light, OR you need better placement. 

Did you purposefully darken the image in post? 

#3 John W. King

John W. King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Student
  • Texas

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Did you purposefully darken the image in post? 

Yes, I shot this on a film mode so I had to restore the contrast and brightness. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: short film, filmmaking, directing, student, independent, as day turns to night, film noir, experimental, avant-garde

Pro 8mm

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Tai Audio

CineLab

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc