Equivalent Still Film

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 22west

22west
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:30 PM

Does anyone know where I can cross reference the Kodak motion picture stocks to equivalent still films?

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

Does anyone know where I can cross reference the Kodak motion picture stocks to equivalent still films?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Athough Kodak's still films and motion picture films share some technology, they are distinctly different formulations. For color negative films, even the developing agent used in the process is different: CD-3 is used in the ECN-2 process, CD-4 is used for C-41.

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

There are a lot of differences between C-41 and ECN-2 not only in process, which John alludes to in his post, but also in intended applicaiton. For a long time, there has been a divergence in the needs of still and motion photographers. Flashbulbs and later electronic flash are different color temperatures than the tungsten lights that are favored by cinematographers, so even amongst a single film manufacturer such as Kodak, your still and cine films are going to be drastically different since they are designed for exposure with different light sources. I have seen ECN-2 that is custom processed in C-41 chemistry and the colors just weren't right on the subsequent prints. Also, if you were to compare the results from a still to a cine film, it would be difficult unless you were using daylight-balanced movie film. Kodak's fastest tungsten-balanced still flim is only ASA 100. Perhaps you should consider the possibility of spooling short lengths of cine film into cassettes for use in a 35mm SLR. It is more difficult to get processing now that RGB Labs has closed down, but I'm sure there are a few labs that'd help you out with doing tests if you told them that you would consider using them to process the footage you shoot for the film itself.

Regards.
~Karl Borowski

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Visual Products

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Opal