5 replies to this topic

#1 siddharth diwan

siddharth diwan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:35 AM

I have seen in a lot of films specially in scene's shot in car parking areas there is a greenish tint in the frame, kind of in matrix. How do v get that on a canon Xl1, is that with some filters on camera, by lighting methods or on post.

#2 Lars.Erik

Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:19 AM

When I want green tint in my pictures, I usually put 1/2 green - 1/1 green filter on the lamps. But these lamps I usuall only light the surrounding walls etc. If there is fluorenscent lamps in the car park, you can put green filters on these. Just cut out enough filter to wrap it around the tube.

The key light should not have green filters on them. That's what I think anyway. I don't like so see actor's faces all green. You can use black flags, black wrap etc. to take away unwanted spill from your green lamps.

Edited by Lars.Erik, 24 May 2005 - 06:20 AM.

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:37 AM

I have seen in a lot of films specially in scene's shot in car parking areas there is a greenish tint in the frame, kind of in matrix. How do v get that on a canon Xl1, is that with some filters on camera, by lighting methods or on post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a thread where they talk about the process used to create the look of the film, "Amelie" which had a beautiful green cast to the color palette.

http://tinyurl.com/cp847

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:17 AM

I have seen in a lot of films specially in scene's shot in car parking areas there is a greenish tint in the frame

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First find a car park lit by Cool White fluorescents (you can tell by eye -- they are cyanish, not warm like tungstens) or mercury vapor discharge lighting (again, that blue green color, not yellow or orange like sodium lights). Then set your camera's color balance manually to tungsten so it won't try and correct out the blue-green color of the lights. Or white balance under a tungsten light (same thing.) To exaggerate it even more, white balance under a (white) tungsten light but with a pink (magenta) gel over the lens (Minus-Green correction gel but anything pink will do) I've even done it by white-balancing off of a pink page in a script. The resulting shot will be shifted to the opposite of pink, i.e. green.

#5 siddharth diwan

siddharth diwan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:03 AM

i'll be doing this in a room not a very big one with 3 kino flows in hand, what could be the possible light setup with the green look i wanted.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:14 AM

i'll be doing this in a room not a very big one with 3 kino flows in hand, what could be the possible light setup with the green look i wanted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, first you may want to use Cool White tubes rather than Kino tubes, because of the green in the Cool Whites. Make sure your camera is manually set for tungsten-balance.

You can alway add green gels (Plus Green) to the lights.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Glidecam

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly