New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other
  • Vetlanda

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

Hello!

Recently bought the Canon xls 814 and I'm now ready to start experimenting with super8.

I have bought some Wittner Chrome 200D for a project coming week (only film I could get within short time, live in Sweden).

Does anyone know how the camera will handle this film, it's notched as ASA250. The camera should handle daylight stocks up to this ASA. 

Does this mean autoexposure should work correct if only my meter works properly?

Anything else I should think about with this film?

Thanks!

#2 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:50 PM

Are you sure it's notched 250? I thought they (wittner) notched it 160D. 250 would be under and is the only way to get any real saturation or contrast out of it, but 160 is over and helps with the chunky grain a bit. I thought the ended up going with over rather than under, but I could be wrong. Either way the 814 xls will do fine. But, manual exposure is still the best.

#3 Daniel Nilsson

Daniel Nilsson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other
  • Vetlanda

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:14 AM

Thanks David!

Yes I thought it would be notched 160 to, but it says on the cart "cartridge notched 250", and it doesn't press down on any of the 814's ASA pins, so I guess that makes the camera expose daylight as 250 and tungsten as 400?

Unfortunately the aperture switch only works one way (to close the aperture) in my camera so I'm stuck on AE lock... 

Edited by Daniel Nilsson, 05 October 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#4 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:21 AM

Thanks David!
Yes I thought it would be notched 160 to, but it says on the cart "cartridge notched 250", and it doesn't press down on any of the 814's ASA pins, so I guess that makes the camera expose daylight as 250 and tungsten as 400?

Unfortunately the aperture switch only works one way (to close the aperture) in my camera so I'm stuck on AE lock...

Interesting, is that a Wittner loaded cart or someone else? Since it actually tells you on the cart that must mean someone changed their minds and went with under rather than over. I bet it's for the saturation and contrast which is bad when metered at 160.

#5 Josh Gladstone

Josh Gladstone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Editor
  • Hollywood

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

A little underexposure is better for reversal films, and overexposure better for negatives, right? I'm sure that's why.

#6 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

A little underexposure is better for reversal films, and overexposure better for negatives, right? I'm sure that's why.

Depends on your goal. For increased saturation and contrast, yes. But for less grain and a flatter look you would over expose. For average day to day use under exposing is probably better and safer. I like to shoot Agfa 200D over myself.

#7 Daniel Nilsson

Daniel Nilsson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other
  • Vetlanda

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

But with the 814 that reads 250 daylight it would just be correctly exposed right? I mean the way they intended it to be, slightly underexposed then...

Edited by Daniel Nilsson, 05 October 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#8 Simon Lucas

Simon Lucas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Other
  • UK

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

Doesn't the 814 feature exposure compensation, too? Wouldn't help with any worries about over or under exposing?

I'm also not clear why your camera won't go into manual mode. You've pressed the centre button in before trying to turn to manual? Or is it broken?

#9 Roberto Pirodda

Roberto Pirodda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Italy

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:14 AM

A little exposure is the way to go if you want to project reversal film, little over exposure will help if you want to transfer to digital video. Anyway, the best exposure is via manual ( external camera) metering, like real cine makers do.

#10 S8 Booster

S8 Booster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Other
  • retired

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

9015745873_21db9f5ddd_b.jpg

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets