6 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

I haven't seen a movie where the 3D aspect was so central to the experience.  Knowing that the World Trade Towers and the views of 1970's NYC from it would have to be computer generated, it's the 3D that keeps it from feeling overly computer painted because you are constantly feeling the depth issues involved. I spent much of time in the World Trade Tower scenes sort of squirming in my seat from a touch of vertigo.

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5195 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Movie flopped badly, why do you think that was?

R,

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:10 PM

It's probably a better subject for a documentary, but the Rotten Tomatoes score was 85% positive, so I think this is just a case where it didn't "click" with what people wanted to see this month.  It feels a bit stretched out as a story, it doesn't come alive until the actual trip to NYC. It sort of plays like a heist movie, and those can be hit or miss with audiences.  There's not always a connection between how good a movie is and how it does in the box office.

I just read that Zemeckis made this movie on a tight 35 million dollar budget, which is pretty impressive considering the period setting in France and NYC, the visual effects, the 3D element, etc. and the fact that Zemeckis is a major director.  It may see a profit by the time it finishes its worldwide run, but maybe this was just a story where the potential audience just didn't match the cost of recreating this historical moment.

The movie is intercut with the main character telling the whole story, which gets a bit overdone once you get into the height (literally) of the action, and perhaps undercuts the tension because it keeps reminding you that he survived this stunt.

#4 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1897 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

I liked the movie and the way it was shot. Zemeckis is always on his A game when it comes to framing and editing. He came up tutored by Spielberg and you can just tell they're pretty flawless at mis en scene. Never over-using close-ups, great blocking, never too cutty, never not knowing where you are or the geography, etc. Just tasteful and accomplished.

But I could also see it would probably not connect that well with an audience. It's a tough tale to turn into a film, especially when Man On A Wire was so compelling - and resent. But Zemeckis is alway on point and I look forward to any future films of his.

#5 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 563 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:39 AM

Sadly I couldn't see it because it was released for 1 week in Cork and 2 weeks in Dublin (there is only 1 session with The Walk in Dublin this week in just 1 cinema in the whole city!)

I suppose I will have to watch it on Bluray or on Netflix in 3D .

Have a good day!

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

It's probably a better subject for a documentary,

It was.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Man_on_Wire

#7 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

And a very effective one.  I met the producer a few years back and told her how I loved the angle they went with: focusing only on achievements: first of the construction of the towers and then Philippe Petit's walk between them, with no mention of 9/11.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Zylight

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineLab