Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:24 AM

Hi guys,

I'm sussing out my options for a feature early next year, and am tossing up between a number of camera/lens combos. The director wants to frame for 2.35:1, so I'd like to shoot Alexa 4:3 with 2x anamorphics, but it's looking like that might break our budget, which leaves me with the option of going spherical with Alexa, or possibly anamorphic with my F5.

1.3x anamorphic kinda makes more sense with the Sony's 16:9 sensor, but isn't likely to happen, as I think there's only set of those on my lovely island continent, plus the 'look' isn't quite as pronounced as I'd like. Which brings us to 2x on the 16:9 sensor - which both does us some favours by cropping off the crummy edges of the anamorphic glass, but also introduced a crop factor that might make wider-angles tricky.

I know Reuben posted some lovely tests of the Kowas on his F55 a while back. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with 2x anas on the F5(5) and what your thoughts are?

Also if anyone's managed to calculate what the actual crop factor would be shooting 2x anamorphic on the F5(5)'s 16:9 sensor, I'd really appreciate hearing it. The figure I came up with is 1.39x, but maths was never my strong suit...

Cheers,

Mark

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

I think your experience will largely depend on how well the lenses are maintained. If they're collimated properly, you should be fine. I prepped the B Camera F55 body and day played a few days on a recent feature that Rueben shot called 'Running Wild' with the Clairmont 2x Kowas. I believe that was his third feature with the same lens package.

A few quirks, the Panavision framing chart I initially shot in prep did not line up with the 2.40 guides in the DIT's system. Not sure why, possibly varying compression ratios or mumps at close focus (I shot the chart at close focus). We had to shoot a second chart with Rueben's custom guides (I didn't have access to his frame guide settings at prep since the A Camera was already shooting on location). Once that was done, it was really no different than shooting spherical. The Kowas were quite prone to flare and veiling glare so we had the top flag and side wings on at all times.

I think you are right about the crop factor from 35mm 4-perf scope to F5/55 based on vertical height. 32mm seemed plenty wide, but then again when I was there we were shooting large interiors in a barn and exteriors on a ranch. So in a more confined space, the crop factor could be problematic.

#3 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

Cheers Satsuki. There are some nice re-housed Kowa sets down here, though the widest they go is 40mm, which is my biggest concern given we'll be inside almost exclusively. What I really want to get my hands on though are the new Cooke Anamorphics, which going with the F5 might just allow.

The 32mm Cooke (if my crop factor is right) will gives us a hair over equivalence to a 22mm spherical, which isn't too bad. Have to look into close focus distances as well though.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

Oh sorry, didn't realize the crop factor you were looking for was F5 scope to spherical. The Cooke anamorphics are nice but they are ginormous! Should look great though, didn't notice too much flaring with those.

Tai Audio

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Pro 8mm

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Visual Products

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider