New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vancouver

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

Bonjour from canada

Hi I have a quick question for anyone that has played with a real directors finder?? (Ari, Denz,Ultimate finder)

Im in the market for one and would love to know what you would recommend from past experiences on the differences between those mentioned and perhaps ones not mentioned that I should check out.

I have around 5k us to spend and would love to get something solid built for life

What are the true differences between an old one and a new one besides the cash factor?   

Please no cheap alternatives    ( artemis works just fine , dslr )--   This is a question for real cinematographers that use big boy toys on real sets   

Very Specific      

Thank you for your time

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:44 PM

I think the main difference between the classic Kish UDF and the newer Arri Finder is the sheer size. I actually like the old Kish tube because I feel it balances in the hand better, but it takes up a lot of room in the run bag or on the cart. I find you pretty much have to keep the hard case with you and put it back in every time.

The Arri is a lot more compact so you can squeeze into a small corner or put it in the lens case if you remove the handgrip. But it can get really front heavy with a big lens. I guess it's fine since you'll have your other hand under the lens supporting it, but it's not so comfortable if you are at the top of a tall ladder or some other precarious perch.

Have not used the Denz, but I think the big benefit you get is the Anamorphic desqueeze module on their most expensive finder. It's most definitely a rental item though. If you're spending that kind of money you're better off buying another lens - you can buy a Cooke Mini S4 for the same price!

The other issue is where to get ground glasses. I believe the Kish uses Arri BL style and the Arri uses 235/435 style but I could be wrong about that. That sort of limits your options if you want oddball frame guides like Near Common Top 2.39/1.85 or anything 16:9.

#3 jeff smith

jeff smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vancouver

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hey Satsuki

Thank you very much for the advice !

#4 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 563 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:45 PM

Hi,

Every single time that I have used a director's viewfinder I have used the Denz one because it is very compact and you can remove or bend the hand grip which is an advantage on my books (especially if you have to carry it around)

The thing I would recommend tho is attaching a video tap to the viewfinder so either the director or you (or every other person who needs to see the frame) can see the exact frame live through a monitor via a bnc cable, it is not a very expensive addition but I have found that it works very well.

Have a good day.

#5 jeff smith

jeff smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vancouver

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

Miguel

Excellent advice !!