Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other
  • Right on the edge in London

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

Not sure if this has been posted  http://deadline.com/...ent-1201555335/

Wow thats completely mind blowing so they definitely knew it was a live track because they even had two trains go past!

Insane!

Freya

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

I've got a bit to add to this.

I've picked up a lot of cheap second hand DVD's lately.

One of them was a cool movie called "the station master".

The film is really good but I was quite disturbed the whole time by that whole thing you see in American movies of people walking along train tracks and the like. It's in keeping with the theme of the movie but you never tend to see this kind of thing in British movies and the disregard for train tracks seems to be a common thing in the states.

It bothered me slightly but then suddenly there was this scene on a railway viaduct.

I'm just watching it with a sinking feeling and as the scene progressed I'm thinking more and more "This looks really familiar".

It looked identical to the one in Midnight rider with the river underneath and the islands. The more I saw of it the more I was like "Oh my god, this is the same place!"

Then I'm listening to the commentary where the director is saying something like "We found out afterwards that those were live tracks! Ha Ha". Well that's one joke that really isn't funny anymore.

The whole thing seems like a big coincidence to me. The midnight rider team claim they found the location from a google search and I'm curious what they searched for, as if it IS the same location it seems like too big of a co-incidence to me.

I guess we came really close to having no "Game of Thrones" too then!

Freya

#5 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

Yup, been there, done that, but I knew that the Amtrak track was live as we were there to get a shot of an actor stepping off he train.  I also knew the Producer(s) did not and were not going to obtain a permit and the requisite safety flagman.  Don't worry about it, do your job!  Thankfully, one of the passing trains called Amtrak Police who arrived and shut things down.  However to the Producers delight, he got the shot anyway.

Edited by JD Hartman, 20 October 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#6 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

I also saw the Station Master film lately and thought exactly the same when I saw that bridge  :wacko:   

If the train tracks are not completely rusted they are in regular and very active use, steel rusts pretty quickly (weeks, even days) when left outside unattended. If the inner edge of the track's top surface has plain metal visible  you can assume that the track is used at least couple of times a day  :mellow:    

If the tracks are completely rusted all over, in very bad condition and there is bushes and small trees growing all over and between them they are probably not in active use...   building a railroad is very expensive so if someone takes even a little bit of care of it it is definitely in active use and one should stay away from there  :ph34r:

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

Yup, been there, done that, but I knew that the Amtrak track was live as we were there to get a shot of an actor stepping off he train.  I also knew the Producer(s) did not and were not going to obtain a permit and the requisite safety flagman.  Don't worry about it, do your job!  Thankfully, one of the passing trains called Amtrak Police who arrived and shut things down.  However to the Producers delight, he got the shot anyway.

I don't think it's as bad if you are not ON the track although you still have to be very careful around train tracks but Hollywood films frequently show people walking on the tracks and jumping on and off moving trains and box cars which just seems well dodgy.

Freya

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11232 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

You know what the sad thing is?

If Sarah Jones had objected to doing it, the difference would be that she'd be alive but unemployed.

Absolutely nothing else would have changed because nobody from production would have admitted it was a problem. It would all have been Sarah's fault, and she'd be blackballed forever.

P

#9 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:17 PM

I also saw the Station Master film lately and thought exactly the same when I saw that bridge  :wacko:   

If the train tracks are not completely rusted they are in regular and very active use, steel rusts pretty quickly (weeks, even days) when left outside unattended. If the inner edge of the track's top surface has plain metal visible  you can assume that the track is used at least couple of times a day  :mellow:    

If the tracks are completely rusted all over, in very bad condition and there is bushes and small trees growing all over and between them they are probably not in active use...   building a railroad is very expensive so if someone takes even a little bit of care of it it is definitely in active use and one should stay away from there  :ph34r:

I really wouldn't want to assume by looking at the tracks. Even tracks that are in use occasionally can look very rusty as you suggest. I think it's best to be wary around tracks unless you know for sure they are not active.

Freya

#10 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

You know what the sad thing is?

If Sarah Jones had objected to doing it, the difference would be that she'd be alive but unemployed.

Absolutely nothing else would have changed because nobody from production would have admitted it was a problem. It would all have been Sarah's fault, and she'd be blackballed forever.

P

I know what you  mean although I don't think that would be true as there were a bunch of other serious injuries too.

Even if nobody died they would have known that they messed up really, really badly.

It would have been covered up I expect tho.

I also suspect she would only be blackballed by that director etc. Don't forget in the states there are lot of productions and stuff so people aren't as reliant on one relationship or contact as they might be in the UK.

Freya

#11 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

I really wouldn't want to assume by looking at the tracks. Even tracks that are in use occasionally can look very rusty as you suggest. I think it's best to be wary around tracks unless you know for sure they are not active.

Freya

at least here in Finland the really rusty tracks which are still taken care of are those where the trains are not driving at full speed, mostly used as a parking track or for trains passing each other. 

I just wanted to note that if you see plain metal on a train track you will know that there is high speed trains using it very regularly and you DEFINITELY should not be near THAT track in any circumstances.  

If there is trees growing on a track which are on train's way and the track seems completely abandoned in all the other ways also (broken and rotten ties, warped tracks, etc. which can't hold train's weight) then you can usually assume that the track is maybe not in active use. But you still must to know where the track is located, where it goes to and from. 

I would look for a abandoned terminal line located inside an abandoned industrial complex with closed gates if I would need a track for a movie scene, that way you can secure the track completely and be sure that no one is using it. completely abandoned tracks are often scrapped here in Finland for the metal... in US there is surely lots of abandoned tracks in mining areas which you can have permission to shoot on

Edited by aapo lettinen, 20 October 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#12 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

I don't know if anyone has kept up with this story but it turned out that the director only got 2 years in prison for murdering Sarah:

http://deadline.com/...ion-1201687013/

He also has to pay $25,000 too. I guess that might buy you a Red Dragon camera now?

I feel he would have been getting off easy with 10 years in prison personally.

Edited by Freya Black, 25 January 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#13 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Sarah lost her life for this footage:

What a bunch of pissing about.

Mindless shots of the sky etc all the time with peoples lives at risk!

Pathetic.

#14 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

Really heartbreaking that she only took the job because Fast 7 got shut down. I'm sure she would have been safe on the Fast set:

#15 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11232 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

Every time this comes up, I am reminded unsettlingly of how common risks this big are, and how few people ever say anything.

#16 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

Crumbs, that is William Hurt.

How on earth did he fall for it?

#17 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11232 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

Because in order to get anywhere in this game, you've got to keep nodding, keep saying "yes, sir," and keep getting on that train trestle...

Even big, prominent names can suffer a suddenly-silent phone if they make enough trouble.

Nobody likes a troublemaker, and the bar for "troublemaker" is microscopically low.

#18 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

Every time this comes up, I am reminded unsettlingly of how common risks this big are, and how few people ever say anything.

Not on any film I have ever worked on but I've never been involved in any film of that size!

Freya

#19 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11232 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

You don't have to be.

Anyone can say "let's steal a shot", from a guy with a GoPro to a full blown crew.

P

#20 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4032 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

You don't have to be.

Anyone can say "let's steal a shot", from a guy with a GoPro to a full blown crew.

P

I don't have a problem with people so called "stealing a shot". I do care if they do it somewhere unsafe. I do care about a complete disregard for safety. I do care when people don't care about their talent and crew.

Also this definitely wasn't stealing a shot, it was pissing about on a railway viaduct over a river for ages getting a bunch of shots for a whole lame sequence. See the video above.

Pro 8mm

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Zylight

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Visual Products

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider