Sander Ferdinand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Other
  • The Netherlands

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:47 PM

Hello guys,

First of all, good to see people still use s16mm!

I have been thinking about shooting my own short film on 16mm and wondered if I could use my 35mm photo camera to prepare some shots for it.

Will my photo camera (Canon A-1), loaded with 500 ASA, a 50mm lens (prime) on 2.8T yield roughly the same results as a Aaton XTR (s16mm) loaded with Vision3 500T and a 50mm at 2.8T (some zoom lens) in terms of lighting. I understand that the colors/grain/DOF/distortion and such would be different. The goal is to get a rough estimation for my exposures to rule out the possibility of wasting precious film stock on ruined shots (Too dark, too bright).

As a beginner, I will be practicing lighting/shadows in certain conditions. When the time comes I will be using a lightmeter as well of course, but having the shots planned a little beforehand allows me to get the look I am going for and giving me confidence in the end result.

Thanks,

Sander

Edited by Sander Ferdinand, 20 October 2015 - 09:59 PM.

#2 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:52 PM

Sander, in order to get confident in using the exposure meter I suggest you read Ansel Adams 'The Negative'. It is about B&W photography but 100 % applicable to motion picture. 

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20467 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:32 PM

Yes, shooting the same MP stock in an 8-perf 35mm still camera, processed the same way (ECN2 not C41), would teach you about exposing for Super-16 if you match the f-stop and shutter speed (usually 1/50th to get close to the 1/48th shutter time of a 24 fps camera with a 180 degree shutter angle.)

Though without printer lights from a work print, I'm not sure how you'd measure whether you exposed it correctly or not just by looking at a scan of the negative, other than just shoot a grey scale in flat light at the correct ASA / shutter time to match shooting in Super-16, as some sort of base image to judge your other exposures against.

#4 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:16 AM

I'm curious as how to get ENC2 process from a lab with only 8 feet of film.  If one were to buy the new "cinefilm" for 35mm still camera, or even take some 5219 and load it in a still camera, is there a lab that would process such a small amount?

#5 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:40 AM

A long time ago friend used a Rollei 16 camera to expose 16mm 1perf to get the film look in his stills. The Rollei 16 takes 16mm 1perf like many other. It is a nice camera but only has automatic program exposure. Better would be to use a Kiev or Mamiya 16 who have manual adjust aperture and exposuretime. The grain is different though as the camera sideway almost uses three frames.

#6 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Cinestill 800T yields an image very close to 5219. The knee is slightly steeper, but in terms of grain and latitude it comes pretty close. They also make a 50D. It's just Kodak MP with the anti-halation backing removed. 

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20467 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

Cinestill uses MP stock with the anti-halation backing removed and processes it in C41:

http://cinestillfilm...-cinestill-film

Which is probably why they rate the 500T at 800 ASA.

I'm sure that would still be instructive to shoot.

There's a lab called Double Exposure Ltd. in Cleveland, OH I found online, I don't know if they are legit, but they say they do ECN2 processing:

https://xxltdlab.wordpress.com

Keep one thing in mind: negative film loves exposure, so if you err, err on the side of overexposure, not underexposure.

#8 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

The thing is that Cinestill film is so forgiving of mis-exposure that I don't think it's a good tool to learn how to expose film properly. For previewing what 7219/5219 will look like, I think it's great.

For learning and testing your metering technique, I would start with some color reversal film like Fuji Velvia or Provia. Once you can nail exposures consistently on reversal, switching to color negative should be a piece of cake. Just remember to err on the side of underexposure for reversal, and on the side of overexposure for negative.

#9 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1775 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

I have seen comparisons of 5219 and Portra 400 stills side by side. While the 5219 is the winner, the Portra 400 is rather close in comparison. I believe that the emulsion is very close to the Vision 3 MP stock. So, shooting a roll of Portra may be an easier way to get what you are looking for. 

Glidecam

CineLab

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Serious Gear

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc