#2 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2359 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

Hey Grant, welcome!

Since this is the "critique" section.. I'll lay a few on ya. I did like it a lot, good imagery and story.

The whole low shutter speed, motion blur thing, really makes it look like just another DSLR shoot. Ya gotta be very careful with that look because in todays world, it's like shooting on mini-dv or something, people just expect better. The black and white stuff needed to be lit differently, it was too contrasty and some of the camera moves were very unmotivated, as if that section was shot very quickly compared to the other stuff, which was much more well thought out.

Coloring was an issue in some places and so was audio, but that may have not been your department. I was shocked about the poor audio in the black and white scene, that's a huge red flag, especially since some of it is even out of sync. I'm very nitpicky about that stuff, I would have ADR'd the whole scene to make it match the VO mic which clearly sounded great. Anyone who see's this, will catch that audio issue and it really drags the piece down in my opinion, which is unfortunate.

#3 Molly Richmond

Molly Richmond

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • Birmingham

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

This is shot so well! I love the colour scenes as the quality comes across extremely well. However, I do agree with Tyler regarding the black and white scenes. The quality isn't too great (which may be what you were going for to show the contrast) but visually it doesn't do the rest of the film any justice. Great job though, I look forward to your next pieces.

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineTape

Pro 8mm

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Technodolly