Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm experimenting with some super 8 on my next project and was hoping for a little advice. I tend to shoot at wide or ultra wide focal lengths so I am looking to optimize for that.

1. Planning on shooting with a Beaulieu 4008 ZMII, how is the optical quality of the schneider 6-66 1.8 zoom that is commonly attached?

2. How is the optical quality of the Ultra Wideangle III adapter commonly used on this lens?

3. Would I get better results with a prime like the century 3.5mm ultra wide?

4. I also have a set of s16 MKI super speeds that I use via a arri>B to cmount adapter on the digital bolex. Does anyone know how well, if at all these would perform compared to Schneider zoom?

5. Does anyone have any suggestions for developing/telecine, based in L.A. Pro8mm stuff isn't very re-assuring, spectre looks very nice, but someone recommended this place over both of them http://www.gammarayd...rvices/scanning, they use a 5k archival scanner and the results on super 8mm are said to be superb.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4743 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:02 AM

You have to use your full name, it's one of the forum rules. Please contact Tim Tyler the site owner to make the change.

#3 Luke Randall

Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

You have to use your full name, it's one of the forum rules. Please contact Tim Tyler the site owner to make the change.

Okay, will do.

Cheers

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

Gamma Ray Digital does excellent work. The do scanning up to 5k for super 8. They offer the best bang for the buck. Scanning only. Cinelab does excellent work and is a one stop shop offering processing and scanning. Primes almost always look better than zooms, but not always. That zoom is quite sharp, but a set of super speeds might be sharper. If given the option, I would choose primes. 

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:52 AM

Don't forget that your s16 primes will effectively be twice as long. A standard lens on Super-8 is about a 10 or 12mm.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 03 November 2015 - 06:53 AM.

Technodolly

Pro 8mm

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam