#1 Vivek Venkatraman

Vivek Venkatraman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:53 AM

Hello,

So for a shoot coming up I need to create a really small circle [roughly a circle of 2 cm radius] on 6 inch by 6 inch mirror.

I was thinking a Profile or an elipsodial might be able to do the job placed at a distance of roughly 15 feet from the mirror. 

Questions 

1 - Is this possible ?

2 - I do know that profiles have degrees how do these degrees affect the shape of the light they produce >? What degree profile would be apt to use in my scenario.

Thanks,

Vivek Venkatraman

Edited by Vivek Venkatraman, 01 November 2015 - 03:54 AM.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:00 AM

Very few things will focus that narrow. You might be able to do it with a slide projector, but it wouldn't be that bright.

Bear in mind that the surface of a mirror isn't a very good place to try and make a spot of light visible, anyway - it'll bounce off.

P

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

If you need a hole that small then I would take a piece of showcard, cut a small circle in the black side, and grip it just above the mirror surface and out of frame. Then just use any unit to light through the hole from above. Personally, I'd use a Dedo for something that small unless you needed daylight color.

#4 Vivek Venkatraman

Vivek Venkatraman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

A question,

If I keep a dedo really far off in background wont the mirror read it as a small circle of light ?

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:00 AM

Hard to imagine a light that is 15 feet away being able to create a circular spot that is only 2cm in diameter, plus how would you see a spot on a mirror unless it is really dirty or something?  You'd definitely need something like a gobo slide with a tiny hole in it inside a Source-4 Leko or a Dedo with a projector lens attachment (don't recall if those take gobo slides but I assume so.)

#6 Vivek Venkatraman

Vivek Venkatraman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:25 AM

A profile is a source 4 leko. Sorry I forgot to mention that I would add a gobo in it. But do you think that if we dirty the mirror then we might be able to see the circle as a circle and that it wont just come as a big blob of light

The Slider

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Zylight

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Glidecam

Pro 8mm

Abel Cine

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks