Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

Hi,

I recently purchased an SRII s16 for personal works, it's my first foray into shooting sequential film and I had a few questions. I understand most members here are very experienced so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I have been reading the manual and watching many tutorials online, but some questions I cannot find answers for.

1. The camera has a CCD video camera module installed for use as a viewfinder. I am not familiar with this setup, the video out is component via a BNC plug. Is there any way to feed this to a hdmi monitor like my small hd dp4? or would I need a bigger monitor with component ports?

Also, would it ever be possible to record the video tap with a time code, then use that specify what parts of the negative to have scanned/telecined?

2. I plan to use my arri b mount S16 superspeeds on this PL mount camera, I need to adapt and I'm looking for the most efficient and reliable way to do so. You can pick up CNC American made adapters  for pretty cheap, anyone tried these vs the chunky and expensive MTF/Visual products style ones?  I'm also  wondering if there is a way to move these lenses between my digital bolex (s16 c-mount) and the Arri without constantly having to take them in for collimating.

3. My favourite lens is my anginuex 5.9 ( arri-B ). I think it's only a 16mm lens but it does cover the digital bolex sensor in s16 mode,  however I believe Bolex s16 is slightly smaller than a true s16 film camera. To that end, I'm wondering if it will work, has anyone shot with this lens on the SRII?

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who has advice.

Edited by Luke Randall, 04 November 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#2 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:48 PM

Pictures would help a bit.  Are you speaking of the optical viewfinder and it has a small CCD camera attached?  Or video tap in addition to the optical viewfinder?

Video taps are usually composite (single wire) not component, unless there are three (RGB) separate cables coming out of the video tap, but why in the world it would be setup that way is beyond me... Anyhow, The short answer is that the signal is very likely analog and will need to be converted over to digital to work on you hd monitor.  They make devices to do this.

#3 Luke Randall

Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the reply Jay. I've attached a picture for confirmation. And yes, meant to say composite not component!.

$_57.JPG

Edited by Luke Randall, 04 November 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#4 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

The 5.9 should cover S16. Mine does. I believe it's the 5.7mm that doesn't?

#5 Luke Randall

Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

Awesome thanks Kenny. 5.7? the kinoptik? 

I also have a zeiss aspheron made for the MKI 9mm and 12mm as wide angle option, but it's cumbersome and $$ to filter.

#6 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hi Luke,
No apologies for ignorance required, we're all learning something here!

As Jay mentioned, the video tap outputs an analog signal, not compatible with most HD monitors without a converter.

Those PL adapters you linked to are better than some I've seen, at least they've been de-burred! The attachment is via grub screws which can therefore damage or deform the Bayonet mount if over-tightened, or come a bit loose over time if not quite tight enough, so they're not ideal, but for people on a budget they do the job. A bit of nail polish on the grub screw threads will help to stop them coming loose. Best to get the lenses-with-adapters collimated in case the adapter or indeed the lens is a bit out of tolerance - it doesn't take much on a short focal length. It's a good idea to get the camera flange depth checked while your at it if you want your footage to be as sharp as possible.
How do you mount your lenses to the D Bolex, with an Arri B to C mount adapter? If you know the lenses are right and what sort of shimming (if any) the adapters might need then you could swap between them with some degree of confidence, though there's always the chance of introducing a small error. Depends a bit on how well the adapters attach, the grub screw method can cause repeatability issues. A good lens tech could help you work out the best system to swap between them without having to constantly get the back focus checked.

In my experience the Angenieux 5.9mm doesn't quite cover S16 - it has an image circle of around 14mm whereas S16 needs 14.5mm, but there are converted ones that cover. Not sure if Kenny has one of those or maybe he got lucky with his! The Kinoptik 5.7mm has a 14.5mm image circle so it just covers. You should be able to see if the corners of the frame are darkening in the viewfinder anyway.

#7 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

Looks like it might have been setup for stedycam use?  But an expert on that sort of thing will have to confirm.

#8 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

Ah right, I missed that bit about the video tap in place of a viewfinder rather than in addition.. that's a bummer. Those taps are pretty murky, not much good for anything beyond framing. Could be possible to source a J or T bar viewfinder elbow..

#9 Luke Randall

Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:50 PM

Ah right, I missed that bit about the video tap in place of a viewfinder rather than in addition.. that's a bummer. Those taps are pretty murky, not much good for anything beyond framing. Could be possible to source a J or T bar viewfinder elbow..

Hi Dom, thanks for the info, I don't quite follow you re the viewfinder. The ccd is in place of the regular viewfinder?  Here's another pic and the auction description.

ARRI SUPER16SR MK2 Camera  PL Mounted.

The camera has a ARRI Video Viewfinder fitted with a CCD Video camera PAL. Composite Signal.
This all works in Mono pictures.  [A Sony Monitor is available ASK at extra charge + postage]

2 x  Magazine in good order. 
3 x Onboard Batteries supplied both hold a charge ok. 
Extension View Finder 
1 x Twin Arri charger. 13A. plug fitted.
Selection of Cables allowing the camera to run and the CCD Camera to also be powered.
The camera has been checked for Focul Depth and therefore PL mounted lenses will Focus.
The Ground Glass is Safe TV on a Super 16mm Outer frame.
The paintwork is in good order.
Cased in a Rigidised Aluminium Case.

$_57.JPG

Edited by Luke Randall, 04 November 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#10 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:28 PM

OK sorry, I misread your earlier description of a video tap "installed as a viewfinder", plus Jay's comment about a steadycam setup led me to think the camera didn't have the optical viewfinder, but it does. You've even got an extension viewfinder. No worries! 

#11 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:14 PM

Forgive me guys, I mixed up the Angenieux with a Kinoptik - which is what I own. Either way, see if you get a vignette in the ground glass. Then you'll know the coverage.

#12 Luke Randall

Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

No worries Dom. I attach my arriB lenses to the digital bolex via Cmount adapter yes, essentially a metal collar on each lens that grub screws on.

Shame the Angie 5.9 won't cover. The s16 version is rare as hens teeth and priced to match. I love shooting superwide aesthetically and practically as wide angle handheld is very forgiving and beautiful. I may have to resort to using the Zeiss aspheron.

Anyone know what sort of converter I'd need to run the analog ccd to a digital monitor (smallhd dp4)? I only found converters going the other way...

Edited by Luke Randall, 04 November 2015 - 11:37 PM.

#13 Jay Young

Jay Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lexington KY

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:20 AM

Yes, Sorry all, I thought from the description and the first picture that the camera had only the one piece swivel viewfinder with camera attached!

You'll need something like http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00284T0QG

You need one with power, runs off battery or DC.  The one I linked is just the first one I found, I don't know anything about that particular product, but it will work.

You'll also need a BNC-rca adapter, OR just make a new cable.   RCA/BNC are interchangeable, single shielded wire. 

With these analogue to digital converters, you can pay as much as you want - just like anything else in this business really!

An alternate would be to get something like this: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0051156TS/  And forget converting the signal. 

Good luck!

#14 Luke Randall

Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

Yes, Sorry all, I thought from the description and the first picture that the camera had only the one piece swivel viewfinder with camera attached!

You'll need something like http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00284T0QG

Hmm it seems SmallHD actually make a cable for just such things!  http://store.smallhd.com/new/Accessories-Including-Obsolete/DP4-breakout-cable

#15 Luke Randall

Luke Randall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • L.A

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

One more question sorry. The Arri dual charger is UK 13A. Anyone know if it will be safe to use with a simple converter?

Thanks!

Zylight

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Pro 8mm

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport