#1 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 455 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hello all,

What does anyone know about specific cameras and/or rigs used for the nightvision work at the end of Sicario? Do tell.

Thanks

f

#2 Stuart Allman

Stuart Allman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

Frank,

I believe the equipment was talked about in the latest issue of American Cinematographer.  I think the infrared images were captured with a FLIR camera.  I forget what they said about the night vision images.

Stuart

---------------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

#3 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 455 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

Stuart,

Ha. I know its in this month's issue but I can't find it in my house and cant access it online. I just saw the film yesterday and I need to know!

Funny, I can find September and November issues....

thanks

f

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

Sicario was fantastic. Some really ballsy work from all involved and amazing to find out that the border crossing sequence had so much set extension VFX in it. Thought the ending was a bit of a let down, I don't think we needed to see Benicio Del Toro's revenge scene. Would have been truer to the established tone to stay with Kate I think. I think this is some of Deakins's best work, no flash at all but distinctly from his point of view and just telling the story creatively with images. It has stayed with me for weeks.

#5 Jonathan Flanagan

Jonathan Flanagan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

Here is an extended discussion/q+a of Sicario between Roger Deakins and Dick Pope BSC for the BSC.

#6 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

I really hope it gets lots of nods in this awards season .Maybe the best film I have seen this year .

#7 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:10 AM

I just sat down to watch Sicario tonight and I really enjoyed it.

They built suspense very well and held it for long periods of time without anything happening. I thought the characters were not very kinda flat, but honestly that's reality! I thought the story being Benicio Del Toro's at the end was great and semi unexpected. The best things over-all was it's cinematography, realism and pacing throughout. The whole package was a bit different then a regular movie, the audience was taken along with Blunt on the ride. The stuff with the Mexican cop wasn't too important, but I understood where that was coming from and why it was there. My only real complaint would be Blunt's motivation, it seemed kinda weak. I also thought Benicio Del Toro should have been shot at the end by Blunt's partner. To me, that would have been the icing on the take, but meh, what can you do!

Deakins is amazing with the Alexa. He's the only person capable of shooting digital and making it look like film, every single time. It was smooth (no digital crispness), had no digital noise, none of the standard issue mid tone issues or highlight clipping issues you see with MOST digital movie. Furthermore, no digital-looking motion blur! Bravo!

Over all Sicario was a great film and very entertaining. I have a bad feeling it will be overlooked in this years award season, which is a real shame.

CineLab

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Visual Products

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Zylight

Technodolly