#1 Tyler Clark

Tyler Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Ohio

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

What are your favorite low-budget/low-budget-horror looks you've seen recently?

I'm doing research to develop a look for a project so any references to great looking things done on the cheap would be great

The director originally wanted something very "it follows" like without fully understanding his budget so we're looking to come up with a unique look that can be done low budget with a bit of that style.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

Hi Tyler, my good friend Mike Gioulakis shot 'It Follows', I can send him a link to this discussion if you have any specific questions for him. Mike came up from the G&E side and he is a master of soft lighting techniques so I think a lot of the look he gets probably comes from that. He is also very specific on lens focal lengths and filtration. He also loves handheld camera and has been using gimbals a lot lately so part of the lighting style he has developed comes from lighting a space for 180 degree or greater freedom of movement rather than boxing in the actors with a lot of stands and flags.

#3 Tyler Clark

Tyler Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Ohio

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hi Tyler, my good friend Mike Gioulakis shot 'It Follows', I can send him a link to this discussion if you have any specific questions for him. Mike came up from the G&E side and he is a master of soft lighting techniques so I think a lot of the look he gets probably comes from that. He is also very specific on lens focal lengths and filtration. He also loves handheld camera and has been using gimbals a lot lately so part of the lighting style he has developed comes from lighting a space for 180 degree or greater freedom of movement rather than boxing in the actors with a lot of stands and flags.

That would be amazing if you passed it along! I really appreciate all of the info as well, Satsuki!

My biggest question being, what swayed the call to have the camera live in gods perspective so much. By that I mean Where did the idea come from and how did he know it would be more effective than another approach?

Also What lensing and movement principles did he adhere too when filming And why?

Lastly what lighting principles did he adhere too. And if consisted of a lot of 360 lighting, (as it beautifully appeared too and based on what Satsuki mentioned) what calls did he make to accent the arc of each scene and the story at whole through lighting?

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Pro 8mm

The Slider