#1 Mike Dominic

Mike Dominic

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:29 AM

Hello.  I have a project coming up where I will need to shoot a night interior dinner party in a large living room.  It's a fairly complex scene with 6 actors moving around in the space, and a lot of coverage including wide shots of the room.  the ceiling is flat and white and not particularly high, with no built-in lights.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to light the room as a whole, so that I have the freedom to shoot 360 degrees without stopping after every shot for a major relight.  obviously i can tweak for tighter shots, but i'd like to dial in the lighting as close as possible in one setup.  

my first idea was to use dimmed practical lamps (so they don't blow out) and fake them with off-camera lights of similar size and directionality.  i've done this plenty of times for smaller rooms and simpler scenes, but i'm not sure where i could hide the lights for a larger room

my second idea is to somehow rig lights to the ceiling and light the scene from overhead, adding fill as needed in the tighter shots. 

if anyone has any ideas or examples to share, i would really appreciate it!  

thanks,

mike

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

How high are the ceilings? The ideal 360 degree light would be a soft overhead source with skirts like a coop light, chimera pancake, or a jemball. But it sounds like you may not have room for that. You might also have an existing chandelier in the way. So if possible, I would investigate screwing 4x4 Kino Flos directly into the ceiling and softening that with a diffusing fabric that you can balloon out towards the table for extra softness in the CUs and also tighten up to stay out of the wide shots.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6767 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

You can also look into the lite-ribbon stuff-- though expensive-- it is low profile and easy to throw up there, and there is also that LED lite-blanket thing-- which i haven't used, but is workable. Though I dislike those type of sources, and even kinos, for situations like this they can work.

Another option would be something like a leko shooting into the ceiling and danced around the room-- though that will spill quite a bit, but can provide the base level ambiance to which you can use other tungsten heads as rim lights and the like to separate from the backgrounds.

#4 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 562 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Another suggestion. 

Rig metallic tubes to the walls from side to side and put super small china balls with bulbs, all on dimmers along the table creating a rectangular structure of china balls. 

Cover the sides of the china balls with black / solid silk and leave a bit of the silk under the china balls so you can use those extra inches to take light out of the walls if needed. 

If you want, you can put a silk under the china balls to soften the light a bit more or you can put diffusion inside the china balls. 

Have a good day. 

Best.

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Pro 8mm

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Visual Products