Photo

Online Cinematography Exposure Calculator that works like my cinematography light meter?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Robinson

John Robinson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:00 AM

Does anyone know where I can find one?  Say I want to shoot at 400 ASA at f2.8, 180º and I want to calculate how many footcandles I'll need to get exposure.  I've tried a bunch of these online calculators but none of them are as fast as just picking up my Sekonic and moving it toward a light source until I get the desired t-stop and checking how many foot candles.  Any leads?

#2 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

This is a helpful chart.

#3 John E Clark

John E Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Other
  • San Diego

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Does anyone know where I can find one?  Say I want to shoot at 400 ASA at f2.8, 180º and I want to calculate how many footcandles I'll need to get exposure.  I've tried a bunch of these online calculators but none of them are as fast as just picking up my Sekonic and moving it toward a light source until I get the desired t-stop and checking how many foot candles.  Any leads?

The basic cinematography formula is @ ISO 100, @ f/2.8 @ 24 fps, you need 100 fc.

For ISO 400, that is 2 stops 'faster', so one needs 1/4 the fc... or 25 fc.

As for on set measurement... if one is using standard ligthts such as ARRI there's an iPhone (perhaps android as well...) app from ARRI which gives their lights and the photometric data you would need to know to set the light at a given distance, and get close to the desired illumination.

For cheap imports... anything goes... because for the most part if they mention anything it is just the wattage, and not information such as beam width, fc at various distances, etc... for those one has to measure and adjust as needed...

I do recommend the iPhone app pCam which has a number of calculation widgets that makes things a lot easier.

CineTape

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Zylight

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm

Visual Products

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies