• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jake Kerber

Jake Kerber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:44 PM

What are the most viable monitoring options when it comes to shooting with the F900 mounted on a Steadicam or Jib?

I want to be able to accurately evaluate the lighting and exposure, while not impeding the actual operation of the shot. Will I need to walk the Steadicam shots handheld with the camera tethered for critical evaluation and then use a clip-on Miranda downconverter into a Modulus 3000 for the actual Steadicam shots, so I at least can look at framing. I'm trying to avoid a two step process like described above.

Thanks in advance.

-Jake Kerber

#2 Mike Brennan

Mike Brennan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

What are the most viable monitoring options when it comes to shooting with the F900 mounted on a Steadicam or Jib?

I want to be able to accurately evaluate the lighting and exposure, while not impeding the actual operation of the shot. Will I need to walk the Steadicam shots handheld with the camera tethered for critical evaluation and then use a clip-on Miranda downconverter into a Modulus 3000 for the actual Steadicam shots, so I at least can look at framing. I'm trying to avoid a two step process like described above.

Thanks in advance.

-Jake Kerber

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jake,
Record a blocking rehersal then playback. It is an opportunity for steadycam op to have a peek at framing and speed in HD too.
Problem with most (all?) steadycam rig stands is that they are not designed for camera to be panned or tilting to check an exposure.
A breakout cable from the viewfinder ( DIY job) will give you zebras if you don't have waveform.
In UK I've been know to radio link y channel showing zebras using a data transmitter for $100 from Tandy...

Mike Brennan

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Opal

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

The Slider

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport