Richard Spaulding

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Washington DC

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

I have recently come across an Omnitar lens by B&S and the sad fact is the lens is completely locked up... I was trying to find any tips online on some methods to maybe free it but no dice. Then I found this site which seems to have a lot of knowledgeable member's where I thought maybe someone has some tips and tricks I haven't found.

Here is the lens in question: 

60805079-8CDC-4942-AC10-89AB77E50306_zps 11DF3A85-B6F9-4FE1-B850-E364A10695F1_zps 31060349-7E32-4782-9F7F-C862656276BD_zps

I appreciate any help I get. 

Thank you for your time.

Rich

(P.S. I apologize if this is the wrong section for such a question but it seemed to be the most logical.)

#2 David Hessel

David Hessel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

What is locked up? Focus, aperture, etc... Not sure what the value of the lens is but you can always send it in for service or if you want to try something yourself I have successly freed lockup focus due to solidified grease using 2 strap wrenches. Do so at your own risk.

#3 Richard Spaulding

Richard Spaulding

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Washington DC

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

What is locked up? Focus, aperture, etc... Not sure what the value of the lens is but you can always send it in for service or if you want to try something yourself I have successly freed lockup focus due to solidified grease using 2 strap wrenches. Do so at your own risk.

Sorry should have been specific that both the focus and aperture are stuck. I was thinking something similar but I would have to take care as I don't want to damage it...

#4 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1203 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:03 AM

You can try gently heating the locked rings with a hair dryer, but usually the grease will harden again as it cools. Sometimes once freed up it will remain useable. Be careful not to heat too much or too quickly in case the glass elements separate or crack. Also be careful forcing the aperture ring, if it's the actual iris that is frozen rather than the outer ring you may damage it.

Avoid spraying consumer products like WD40 or God forbid silicone in there. If you can access the threads (usually that means removing the outer ring) a few drops of white spirit or acetone can soften hardened grease, but probably won't get to run all the way in.

A professional lens technician could likely free it all up by dismantling, cleaning and relubricating the threads, but I don't think that lens would be worth the expense. 

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

CineLab