Trogdor

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:34 PM

On this page:
Link

I would like to use parts of this clip in a school film. how do i download the mpeg so i can edit it in Adobe Premiere

#2 Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

Although I can't answer your specific question regarding Premiere, I can tell you that you can't access that file for the very reason you want it--it isn't yours to download. Some people consider it theft!

Jay

Edited by Jay Gladwell, 26 May 2005 - 04:05 PM.

#3 Josh Hill

Josh Hill
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

For a school project, if he is in America, he can actually use that because it is within the fair use copyright laws. I doubt that piece of footage is even copyrighted as it is, and is probably stock footage anyway.

I would also be willing to be that I can't answer your question, but someone should be able to somewhere.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:08 PM

Hi,

The full paid version of Quicktime will let you download files, but you can also go search in the browser cache for it.

Or you could look at the page source and download it from the very obvious URL.

And it's not MPEG.

Phil

#5 Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:33 AM

For a school project, if he is in America, he can actually use that because it is within the fair use copyright laws. I doubt that piece of footage is even copyrighted as it is, and is probably stock footage anyway.

Not altogether accurate, Josh. If he were doing a "review" of the site that would fine--that would fall under "fair use." As a former college teacher, I can tell you that schools have very strict policies about such things. It can get you tossed out of school! To go to any site and grab something from it to use in an unrelated project is NOT fair use.

It being "stock footage" has nothing to do with it, either. When people have footage like that, they usually, more often than not, have to pay a preimum price for it to a stock footage house. Have you ever done the research necessary and bought stock footage from an archieve, paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars for it? Image going through that process and have someone steal that footage and use it in their project. How would that make you feel?

To simply lift any footage, images, and/or text from a web site without permission is wrong--it's stealing.

Jay

Edited by Jay Gladwell, 27 May 2005 - 06:36 AM.

#6 Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:45 AM

Here's a good resource. I'd suggest anyone thinking of lifting anything from a web site take some time and do some reading:
http://fairuse.stanf...view/index.html

Jay

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Technodolly