Photo

Mounting a Phillip Bloom Pocket Dolly V3 To tripod?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffrey Chance

Jeffrey Chance

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC/Baltimore

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hello Everyone! I'm new to these forums and cinematography in general. 

I recently purchased a Slider from Kessler Crane and I'm looking to mount it to Tripods (I have two Manfrotto 504 Tripods with 535k Sticks). I've tried calling Kessler Crane for support but its usually vague and doesn't help a newbie like myself. 

Here's the equipment I have: 

#2 Jeffrey Chance

Jeffrey Chance

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC/Baltimore

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

Wow! none of the images attached, but heres what I have: 

Kessler Kwik Release Receiver

Manfrotto Tripods 501 with 535K Sticks w/plates to mount Cameras

Pocket Dolly 3 with Short Plate Mount

3/8 Screws and 1/4 and such. 

105xk54.jpg

vczzte.jpg

21aibd0.jpg

34iij48.jpg

Edited by Jeffrey Chance, 21 November 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#3 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:41 PM

What are your expectations?  To adapt the slider to accept a quick release plate on the end that will fit the matching receivers on the tripods? 

I've only seen this slider used with its matching legs and supported by apple boxes on each end.

#4 Jeffrey Chance

Jeffrey Chance

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC/Baltimore

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

My expectations are to attach this slider to the tripods so I don't have to hold it or have two people hold it from each end to balance it. This way I can get stable slides without the man power. 

I hope that makes sense. 

So JD, along the lines of what you're saying. To adapt the slider to accept a quick release plate that matches the receivers. I've spoke to 3 different Kessler Crane employees who have each told me that its possible. 

#5 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

The FAQ's and the manual for the slider seem to indicate that the unit should be screwed directly to a single tripod head without using a quick release plate.  What do your QR plates look like?  Make and model#?

#6 Jeffrey Chance

Jeffrey Chance

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC/Baltimore

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

The quick release plate is the second photo which is the Kessler Crane kwik Release Receiver which is in the second photo. 

#7 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:54 PM

Your plates are similar to: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553892-REG/Manfrotto_501PL_501PL_Sliding_Quick_Release.html/prm/alsVwDtl   

Your QR plates for the tripods should mount to the underside of the slider as seen in post #2, image 3, using the two tapped holes seen on the right of the image.  I'd think that you would use the pair of holes that are perpendicular to the long dimension of the slider.  If your camera is light enough, you may be able to center mount the slider similarly, use only one tripod and have little or no deflection of the slider at either end of the travel.

#8 Jeffrey Chance

Jeffrey Chance

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC/Baltimore

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:15 AM

Thank you so much JD! Unfortunately because I'm using the slider with a Bolex 16mm w/ a wide angle, telephoto and 50mm; i required both tripods.

YOU HELPED MORE THAN ALL OF KESSLER CRANE SUPPORT! I got it all together! 

#9 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

Thank you so much JD! Unfortunately because I'm using the slider with a Bolex 16mm w/ a wide angle, telephoto and 50mm; i required both tripods.

YOU HELPED MORE THAN ALL OF KESSLER CRANE SUPPORT! I got it all together! 

Bigger heavy camera, lots of stability and support needed.  Got it.

I hope it all fits together and works out.  Honestly I don't know squat about camera equipment, but I do enjoy problem solving.

Edited by JD Hartman, 22 November 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#10 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

What JD says will work. Another way to support the slider from both ends is to use baby pins with a 3/8-16 threaded spud, screw them into the threaded holes on the slider, and bite those with short c-stands. http://www.filmtools...3/8-16 baby pin

This would give you more control over the tilt angle should you wish to do straight down or angled down shots, vertical boom shots, or overhead shots. Downside is that it's a bit finicky to get level.

If you want to use cheaper light stands, you can also get 3/8-16 to female baby receptacles. You would just screw these in and then drop the slider onto two stands. Probably the cheapest way to go.
http://www.filmtools...6-male-kit.html

Finally, if you end up upgrading your tripod to a beefier system then you can definitely center mount the slider on the head. When I use my Cineslider with the Cartoni Focus I have to use edge support, but with my Sachtler Cine 30 it's no problem at all.

#11 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

It meets his need of mounting the slider across two camera tripods that he already owns. 

An alternative would be junior pins at each end and use a pair of short junior stands like those used with the Dana dolly for greater stability.

Or TVMP(s) and baby stands or C-stands or .....

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Zylight

Willys Widgets

The Slider

CineLab

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Pro 8mm

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport