#1 einzelhaft

einzelhaft

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:06 AM

I just purchased a Bell & Howell 240 that takes the 100 ft. daylight spools. On the package for the Plus X I was going to try it with, it says to load in complete darkness. I practiced with some old film and was able to do so. Can this be loaded in subdued light or does it have to be total darkness? Also the metal spool that came with the camera allows some light between my old test film and the edges of the reel when held at eye level. Would this be OK to use a take up - I am assuming the film is sent in for processing on the take up spool.

thank you

#2 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:48 AM

Daylight spools can be loaded in subdued light. The sides are solid, so light has to work it's way from the top layer, through each consecutive layer of film to ruin it. The faster the film, the less time it takes for this to happen. During a normal, jam-free load, no more than a few feet of film is burned. If you're nervous about the process or don't want to lose even a few feet of film, practice loading a dummy roll until you can do it in complete darkness. Then use a changing bag or closet when it comes time to load the real film. It's always a good idea to run gaffer tape around the film bay door, just in case there's a light leak, especially if it's an old camera.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant in your other question, but - yes, the takeup spool is what you send to the lab. The spool your new film came on becomes your new takeup spool.

Good luck,
Mike

#3 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

If you get a decent sized changing bag you can fit your 240 inside and load film in complete darkness; that way you can shoot all the film you paid for.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

CineTape

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Glidecam

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets